News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Winter reading

Started by Tweed, October 09, 2011, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

Hi Colin,

I'd be keen to have a read and could pay you postage by paypal

Let me know

Donald

alancrob

I read Caledonia a couple of years ago. This made me want to read it again but I can't remember who borrowed it?

Since reading it I have met a couple of people that I thought I knew. Turned out they were in the book under slightly different names.

A.

Wildfisher

Right now I am  reading W.C. Stewart's classic work :

"The Practical Angler or The Art of Trout-Fishing more particularly applied to clear water"

First published in 1857 and it's surprising how little has changed. Same concerns over habitat degradation, recommendations to use stiff rods etc and Stewart was covering the same theories that some more contemporary writers have made to look their own. The writing  style is wonderful. If you have not  read this book get it. You won't regret it. Amazon has lots of copies, they are just scans of the originals but you quickly  get used to the oddness of it. Alternatively you could download and print it out.  It's well out of copyright, but I reckon it's worth buying a hard copy. No wonder this is a Scottish trout fishing classic.

Buanán

Quote from: admin on December 20, 2011, 09:24:15 PM

"The Practical Angler or The Art of Trout-Fishing more particularly applied to clear water"

First published in 1857 and it's surprising how little has changed. Same concerns over habitat degradation, recommendations to use stiff rods etc and Stewart was covering the same theories that some more contemporary writers have made to look their own. The writing  style is wonderful. If you have not  read this book get it. You won't regret it. Amazon has lots of copies, they are just scans of the originals but you quickly  get used to the oddness of it. Alternatively you could download and print it out.  It's well out of copyright, but I reckon it's worth buying a hard copy. No wonder this is a Scottish trout fishing classic.

I'd have to agree with that Fred, cracking read altogether.  

Clan Chief

At the moment I'm reading One Man and his Bike by Mike Carter. Its about a journalist who is was fed up with the humdrum of city life etc and decided to get out of London and cycle round the coast of Britain without much forethought and planning. Thoroughly enjoying this book.

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on December 20, 2011, 09:24:15 PM

You will probably enjoy this as well;

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=The%20Angler%20and%20The%20loop%20Rod

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16986.0

TL
MC

Malcolm

I liked that one too. There was a right old set to between Cholmondley Pennel and Stewart . Stewart thought Pennel was regurgitating his ideas. The editor of the "field" eventually got fed up with them abusing each other and stopped printing their harangues. Sound familiar?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Yes Malcolm and I noticed Stewart having a go at Stoddart  a few times in the book.  :D

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on December 21, 2011, 11:12:49 AM
Yes Malcolm and I noticed Stewart having a go at Stoddart  a few times in the book.  :D

Stewart had a pamphlet printed about the matter;

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=a%20caution%20to%20anglers

TL
MC

Wildfisher

It's a shame they lived so long ago.  It could have been quickly cleared up had they the opportunity to "Ask Stan"   :D

Go To Front Page