News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Winter reading

Started by Tweed, October 09, 2011, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

On the last few pages of  W.C. Stewart's  "The Practical Angler". A great historical read. Couple of notable points:  he had a worming season, basically he wormed  for  a few months when the main spring hatches ended. He confusingly referred to the large stoneflies as "mayflies" and the wanton slaughter of fish makes you wonder why there are any left at all. He talked in terms of  "baskets"  of tens of pounds. Changed days indeed.

Fishtales

The stonefly was the northern mayfly because that was when they appeared. It had nothing to do with nomenclature or entymology :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Tweed

Quote from: admin on December 02, 2011, 02:06:48 PM
I'm on the last few pages now of "A Singing Reel" by Moray Maclaren. I'd give it a mixed review TBH. Firstly it really is of another age, only 50 odd years old or so, but very much a different world.  Nothing wrong with that of course  (I read lots of old stuff), but it does make me realize  how old I am getting.  :lol:

Well enough written and while I found his style - which is basically never use 10 words when 110 will suffice - enjoyable to begin with, I did start to find it tedious 1/2 way into the book and found  myself skim-reading many paragraphs to get to the point he was making. He does tend  to over embellish to make or illustrate his point a wee bit. Just my opinion of course.

I'd like to visit Faroe after reading it, but accept it is unlikely to be the same place as it was way back them when I was one year old.  Some good stuff on sea trout fishing in Shetland, but I do wonder how much of that is still valid in these days salmon farms?

I'd say it is certainly worth a read for all that. Add it to your fishing library!  :D

Just finished this one.  A nice enough read, if a little hard work at times.  McLean clearly loved his fishing though and it was interesting to read a book written some 60 years ago, and realise how the underlying pleasures to be had from the sport don't change much over time.  Pity the same can't be said for the quantities of fish available.  Fortunately though, some things do appear to have changed for the better - attitudes to catch and release for one.

As others have said - it does whet the appetite for the Faroes as well . . . one day  . . . 

shad

Have just finished Life and Limb by Jamie Andrew, not  fishing related but worthy of a mention.
http://www.jamieandrew.com/content/view/32/52/
Truly inspiring story, lost his best friend and both hands and feet to frost bite after 6 days trapped on an Alpine ridge.Returned home to Edinburgh , got back to work and back to  the climbing,sailing,marathons and trecking he did before.
Well worth a read and can be bought direct from the link.
Cheers Colin

Go To Front Page