News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Woodcraft & Camping - Nessmuk

Started by Harpo, November 17, 2006, 09:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Hi folks,

I got the above book from Amazon the other day (?6). It was written by some American chap called George W Sears, although he was known as Nessmuk. Written in the 1920 it's a great wee read very similar to what Ray Mears does, however quite a bit of fishing in it as well, the author prefers the fly !

A couple of great quotes in it as well that got me thinking :-

"Many people who camp, fish or hunt gather in the winter and talk of future trips and "roughing it". I dislike this phrase, we do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rought it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities, in shops, offices, stores and banks in fact anywhere were we are placed with the necessity always present of being on time and up to our work".

Despite being written 86 years ago, stands probably stronger today.

Also a good quote on carrying to much crap when your out and about "Each and every one has gone to his chosen ground with too much impedimenta, too much duffle. The temptation to buy this and that bit of indispensable camp-kit has been too strong, and we have gone blessed to the woods, handicapped with a load fit for a pack mule. This is not how to do it".

Maybe Richard & I should have listened to this advice before we set off up to the Gairloch hill lochs this summer with these bags  :lol::-

Harpo

I'm rubbish at attaching photos !!!!!!!!!!!

alancrob

Just as well it was only a day trip! I would hate to see the state of you both if going for an overnight. :lol:

Found an American 'woodcrafter' a few years ago in San Francisco showing off his skills on a pole lathe. I got talking and he asked if I would like to try. Being the adventurous sole I am I accepted his challenge. Only after I had run off a windsor style chair leg did I admit to being slightly more than an amateur. I had just spent 4 months of my life researching, and making, a pole lathe. A bit cheeky but fun at the time.

trollscot

I went on amazon and bought a copy and i also got a copy of"How to shit in the woods", something to read during the close season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers.......james

Harpo

When I bought the book the mighty Amazon advised that, people who bought this book also bought a Bahco Laplander 12" retractable saw as used by Ray Mears...obvioulsy I couldn't resit and bought one myself......You'll never know when I might need it in my city centre flat !!

Alan - Nice wee story about you meeting the woodcrafter....good work !

Cheers

Harpo

Quote from: breac uaig on February 09, 2007, 07:59:23 PM
Ah ! I remember the shorts as you disappeared into the distance, bet you Isabel got a shock when you asked for B&B, might see you up here again this year  8) breac uaig

Hi Breac Uaig...you've totally lost me on this one I'm afraid??? :?

What is "Breac Uaig" by the way...i've often wondered?

Cheers

Stuart

Go To Front Page