News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Oliver Edwards DVD's

Started by Wildfisher, April 05, 2008, 10:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I've  bought a few of these recently. Pretty good I thought,  despite the 1960's Morris Traveller.

I think Oli over-eggs the pudding a wee bit with some of his fly patterns, real works of art. The fishing scenes are very good, the films are very professionally put together and are, in my opinion, a good buy at under ?15. Only criticism I have is he seems to be a  bit of a name–dropper and tends to use Americanisations  where  there are already perfectly adequate "proper  English"  :D  words and phrases. But perhaps that's just to widen his potential market.

What is the membership's general opinion of Oli and his films?

scotfly

I like his films.
Don't entirely agree with everything he says, but most of it is good advice.
Like you say he does "over-egg the pudding" with his patterns and I have heard tell of him wading many a pool to retrieve a fly. Kinda takes some of the fun away if you're overriding concern is not losing a fly!
I think his success is down to his ability though more than his pattern choice.

.D.

I think he comes across very well in the DVDs I've seen(he does seem to go on about "the wife's best table" in the tying sequences a lot though :lol:).

I like his DVDs. Both for tying and fishing instruction.

I don't think it's entirely fair to be too critical of his own patterns: it is a tying video! I assume most people buy the DVDs oriented towards tying to learn new techniques. Some of his better ties (like the peeping caddis, POPA caddis and Rhyacophila larva) are actually pretty simple and effective. Granted, I'm not really into the ones involving loads of latex and/or flexibody etc. Just too much effort, so I don't use them. But you can still pick up little tying tricks from them to use on simpler ties.

Unlike a lot of "experts" he does do a lot of other people's flies. And really "bigs them up". Unlike a lot of "experts" who seem to be much more interested in explaining why their fly is "best".

And he's always been really big on spiders :). They don't get much simpler :wink:.

Cheers,

.D.

.D.

Quote from: admin on April 05, 2008, 10:04:23 PM
........................and tends to use Americanisations  where  there are already perfectly adequate "proper  English"  :D  words and phrases. But perhaps that's just to widen his potential market.

I thought you'd enjoy that aspect, sitting there in your camper van in Oregon, Fred.

Which DVDs did you get? I don't have the earlier chalkstreams biased one: the one with the ptn etc. on it (as in the links).

.D.

Wildfisher

Quote from: .D. on April 06, 2008, 05:35:02 PM
I thought you'd enjoy that aspect, sitting there in your camper van in Oregon, Fred.
yer darn tootin' partner ........................ :D

Quote from: .D. on April 06, 2008, 05:35:02 PM
Which DVDs did you get? I don't have the earlier chalkstreams biased one: the one with the ptn etc. on it (as in the links).

Big Dry Flies On Fast Water ......... Kiinks, Moser Balloon Caddis  etc
Wet Fly Fishing On Rivers ........upstream spiders etc
Streamer Fishing On Rivers .......... as it says

.D.

Quote from: admin on April 06, 2008, 05:47:27 PM
..............Streamer Fishing On Rivers .......... as it says

That Waggy Tail Sculpin thing looks absolutely hilarious! (I won't be tying any though- it's not that funny :| ).

Those snapheads look pretty good on a Woolly Bugger .

.D.

Wildfisher

Quote from: .D. on April 06, 2008, 06:16:17 PM
That Waggy Tail Sculpin thing looks absolutely hilarious! (I won't be tying any though- it's not that funny :| ).

aye, life is FAR too short

Quote from: .D. on April 06, 2008, 06:16:17 PM
Those snapheads look pretty good on a Woolly Bugger .

I thought they looked typically 'Moser'  that is – probably cost an arm and a leg. Who has them and how much are they?

.D.

Quote from: admin on April 06, 2008, 06:24:37 PM

I thought they looked typically 'Moser'  that is ? probably cost an arm and a leg. Who has them and how much are they?

Unit cost of 58p per fly in the small size :shock:. That's quite high given the attrition rate with subsurface flies.

Lakeland: http://www.lakelandflytying.com/284/Cones.aspx  I only use the small size, and they've got them in stock  :ang2

(the lighter "surf" ones look good too: but they don't bring much to the table in terms of weight. They've got them in small, but they only come in silver)
.D.

Go To Front Page