News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A Danger To Our Rivers?

Started by Wildfisher, March 30, 2008, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyborthwick

Detailed written Guides and long standing reputations can cause big changes in fish numbers especially on the Lochs. However I am sure that this impact is becoming an aspect of the past. A lot of Anglers do practice restraint and even the Estates are encouraging a more realistic take limit on most waters. We will always have the Nerds who will want to wreck everything but there are some risks worth taking to ensure our aspect of fishing prospers and grows. I do subscribe to the cautious approach when talking about vulnerable waters with easy access but I think if its referring to waters that require a good bit of travel and work to get there that this in itself offers some protection against the fishmongers. I have yet to meet many of the monger type who are prepared to walk back over the hill for four miles with a big bag of fish never mind ten miles. We all have choice lochs that we share with friends on a need to know basis and that is surely one of the nice things about the facilities on this site and the PM system. Being an active member here opens up the possibilities and as most of us know once you start to be actively involved the benefits soon flow through tips given discreetly, stravaiging, and bar room banter. I must admit nowadays I would rather have a couple of good photo's of a nice fish than the specimen in my bag -afterall how many times can I eat it - but the pics I can dine on for a year! I think this is also an ever growing aspect of our sport. I think that in some publications - especially the magazines it would be nice to see people actually returning fish more often - the days of parades with a load of dead fish is really quite unacceptable. Perhaps even some Bow holes are waking up to this - instead of mass slaughter.
I think I will still share openly on the forum information for all to see with the usual slight reserve on some special places for those who sometimes have less time but have a conscientious attitude to our wild friends.

Sandy B.O.

haresear

QuoteI think places will receive more immediate attention following a article, though i would imagine it to be more short term than long term , folk will come some will be sucessful others less so and mixed views of  a particular venue will filter through the angling grapevine.

I reckon a magazine article will draw an increase in angler traffic for a short period, as Col suggests. In the case of a guide book, then anglers who would be visiting a particular area anyway, will tend to focus their efforts on the likeliest sounding waters mentioned in the guide. I know I do, until I have first hand experience of the area.

The internet on the other hand, gives a free source of detailed information with minimal effort on the part of the angler and unlike a magazine, this info will sit ready to hand for any number of years, so when anyone wants to Google the name of the water concerned, the information will still be sitting there.

Some places I fish don't hold a hell of a lot of fish and I've had to fish hard and put a lot of hours in to get results. When it comes to places like this, I'll be keeping my cards closer to my chest from now on.

Alex

Protect the edge.

sandyborthwick

Also as the more realistic of us know there are few fish of monster proportions in any loch and most wild fish are good if they hit a pound. I feel that anyone visiting any water expecting to hit loads of large fish in general will be disappointed - they get big by not being caught! Dunalistair is surely an example of this - great fish but a lot of hard work and a few blanks probably involved. The main problem is that Large specimens seem to be the thing that sells magazines - Fish wild and the forum is selling a completely different concept at no charge. The fact is that when a nice big fish is caught we do not need to mention the Loch or the particular location on the river - there's plenty of home work for the true Wild Angler. As members of our fraternity we can use our discretion and share a few secrets with other members without the world having to know(PM) - its not a problem being on the internet its how you use the tool :crap.

Prime examples of our difference is where do you see articles on the highest loch trout and groups arranging stravaigs by bicycle and hiking in. In what magazine would they have articles on some serious nuts freezing their Ba's Aff at Lochindorb wi tubes and snow around! There are reports and postings from all over including different species, countries, and methods here - no problem to the neds if they can afford the fare to Canada and see Moose!

I was originally attracted to the sight by searching for wild trout info - surely the same is true of most  8) the more we can post and supply the more attractive it becomes. The back catalogue on this sight alone would keep the fishmongers going for several centuries - all that really is required is some prudent frugality to exact locations on occasion.

Sandy B.O.     

Wildfisher

Another point worth bearing  in mind is  only established members (>25 posts) can read the reports here. They cannot be "googled".

Now all the folks  who complained about it can perhaps see the reason why!  It actually takes  a bit of effort to get to 25 without being "obviously at it" - patterns emerge and we are ruthless in our moderation of spam................. :D

Sandy B  is right. We are driven by enthusiasm, T+S  etc are driven by money. I don't believe the end result is the same as we can afford to be circumspect  and  they can't. We don’t compete with anyone.

I am told that when T+S sets out do an article it's all very clinical: professional photographers, tight planing etc. We don’t set out to do articles, we set out to go fishing and if an article  comes out of it then it's a bonus. We don’t have to publish, we don’t have to make it "sexy" in order to persuade the punter to part with 3 quid a month!

All that said, we still have to be careful in my view. I for one keep a few lochs close to my chest and while I am very happy to tell anyone here about them privately I won’t publish the locations openly. I think that's a good compromise.

sandyborthwick

I totally agree Fred a few good secrets shared privately now and again are what we are all about. The general stuff is no problem - trust is earned on the Forum and is not assumed such as in magazines.

Sandy B.O.

Sandison

OS Map 9, Cape Wrath, Scale 1:50,000, Gd ref: 303492. OS Map 10, Strath Naver, Scale 1:50,000, Gd ref: 758431. OS Map 11, Thurso & Dunbeath, Scale 1:50,000, Gd ref: 993395.
Bruce Sandison

Wildfisher

Quote from: Sandison on April 04, 2008, 09:47:44 PM
OS Map 9, Cape Wrath, Scale 1:50,000, Gd ref: 303492. OS Map 10, Strath Naver, Scale 1:50,000, Gd ref: 758431. OS Map 11, Thurso & Dunbeath, Scale 1:50,000, Gd ref: 993395.

:D.............. love it!

………..and don't forget to pack at least 3 days sandwiches and a distress flare!    :D

Go To Front Page