News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A Flock of Seagulls

Started by River Chatter, January 20, 2011, 08:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

This is very depressing guys.  As a wean watching these gulls fly over my house - must have been upwards of 1000 over about an hour sometimes - I had visions of a mass exodus to Scandanavia of some other far away destination.  Ever the romantic.  :roll:

Black-Don

When I was a kid, during winter you would get large flocks of seagulls over Kilsyth and there were no landfill sites around. Don't know whether it was the abundance of shallow marshland type ponds in the area that attracted them  :? .

Ptinid

There is a North/South migration that happens around this time of year - although usually later in March. Gulls overwinter and then spread out to find nesting sites, usually returning to the same breeding sites year after year. Juveniles now in their first adult year will also be prospecting for possible colonies to join.

You could be seeing the build up of the southern overwintering population building up in the area. There are certainly a number of large roof roosts in E/K, Hamilton and Cambuslang (biggest is Rolls Royce in E/K, but a fwe others approaching their numbers). By end March most large movements will have stopped and the birds will be starting to build their nests.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

River Chatter

Interesting Ptinid.  Do the gulls travel south at this time of year or north?  The ones I've seen are travel northwards.

haresear

QuoteBut you're right - they're sh!te and unlistenable now, and will be going on eBay as soon as it's safe for me to sell my own stuff!

I did like this one though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFjD28qPwQ&feature=related

I tried to find a live version that was watchable, but couldn't handle the hairdos and the dodgy singing. Still like the song though.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Ptinid

Quote from: River Chatter on March 03, 2011, 11:36:31 PM
Interesting Ptinid.  Do the gulls travel south at this time of year or north?  The ones I've seen are travel northwards.

Pretty much both. At this time of year, it's just birds trying to find their nests. As I recall, there is a West/East split, but buggered if I can remember (or find my notes) which way round it is!

BTW, nesting now started - deep joy!
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Go To Front Page