News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tents.

Started by Clan Chief, September 29, 2016, 01:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Im thinking  of getting a new 1 or 2 man tent for next year.  (im thinking 2 man for more room for myself.)
So was looking for recommendations.
I've had a look on YouTube etc etc and thinking, Vango blade 200 but not sure of the design as I think it might not be so good in windy conditions. You guys may no different.
Also looked at Vango banshee?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Lochan_load

I got a banshee last Xmas, only ended up using it for one trip but got a fair testing with decent winds and heavy rain and stood up well. Even the stuff I had outside the inner stayed dry under the main body of the tent. It's the 200 I got so there's room for a rucksack and bits and pieces

Fishtales

My mate George has the 200 and it is bomb proof. I don't like it because there isn't much storage space outside the inner and the door opens all the way down one side allowing rain to get inside (I don't like boots, rucksack or wet waterproofs inside the tent and it leaves any nasties that are hanging on to them outside too).

GO have a few Alan, worth a wander round just to see the designs :)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/tents/1-2-person-tents

Some design faults in some that I look for.

A) side opening doors with no way to keep the rain out when cooking from inside the tent.

B) front doors on the slope with the same fault as above.

C) not enough space under the flysheet for storage whether at the door or the side.

D) I'm not in favour of the fibre poles and prefer the Aluminium ones.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

ant0

I've just recently been through all the humming and hawing of getting a 2 man light/trekking tent and eventually settled on Vango Zenith 200. Cost £90 discounted.  that said, Vango seem to have a lot of very very similar tents in size, purpose and price.  Made choosing even harder.

Has a wee porch with decent space and it excellent for ONE man and his dry gear inside with decent room and only 2kg, but... as a TWO man I have to honestly say would be far too tight.  Even though this was bought for me and my wife wild camping I've already told her I think we need to get the 3 man for when we're both together (but more weight!).

Served me well on my first night on the mofat hills on the shore of Loch Skeen with what felt like gale force winds belting me during the night and some rain.  Stays 100% dry inside and the tent stood up fine.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

caorach

Ohhh, tents :-)

Firstly I'm far from an expert and am completely new to the camping at lochs thing.

I have a Banshee 200 and think it is a really nice tent though they might have some quality issues as I'd to send one back before I got a "good" one. I wouldn't like to go to a smaller tent for one person camping.

One problem with the Banshee is that it is quite bulky and also a little on the heavy side and when i was looking to reduce weight I managed to pick up a Vaude Power Lizard 1-2 person as a sort of "end of line" deal for a very good price, there is no way I could come close to affording one at full price. It is lighter (about 1kg) but more significantly much less bulky than the Banshee. The Power Lizard (really, who came up with that name?) is a good tent with similar room to the Banshee but it is probably longer and more suited to tall people. The reduction in packed volume is great as it means I can go to a lighter rucksack so that gives a further reduction in weight plus it is "flexible" in the sense that it can squeeze in around other stuff but the Banshee can't do that. In wilder weather my money would be on the Banshee and because the Power Lizard only has a single pole getting a tight pitch on rough ground seems a lot more tricky than with the two pole Banshee. Getting the perfect pitch on a lumpy moor is impossible but the Banshee does a slightly better job in my view. I'd say the Power Lizard is also somewhat more prone to condensation. The reduction in weight and volume is important to me so I'd say that I favour the Power Lizard over the Banshee as my intention is always to camp in decent weather but the Banshee does have some advantages.

This is the Power Lizard in action:

and this is the Banshee:

Lochan_load

How much is the power lizard?

caorach

Quote from: Lochan_load on September 29, 2016, 10:59:33 PM
How much is the power lizard?

I paid less than £200 for mine as it was a 2015 model and there was a new 2016 model coming, looking at both I can't see what the difference is. However the full price is something like £430.

In my view the power lizard was worth £200ish compared to the £100ish for the Banshee as there is no question it is a lot more sophisticated and much lighter and more packable however I could never justify £400+ on a tent. I got mine from Uttings but I think they sold out in about 2 days and I've no idea if there are others out there with 2015 models still available but I bet some hunting around will turn something up.

I'd buy another power lizard but probably not another Banshee - if I was replacing the Banshee then I'd hunt about for a good deal on a lighter and more packable tent even if I had to pay £200ish rather than £100ish.

Billy

The banshee 200 for me but i don't have any experience of other smaller tents. The others seem a bit pricey for the amount of time I use mine. I spent more money on the sleeping bag.

It is tight for two (I tried it when my mate fell on his and he had to move in).

It stood up to the wind that we had on the Uists at last seasons EOSS which we all remember. Its probably a wee bit heavier than some but still manageable.
Takes 10 minutes to set up.

Billy

Lochan_load

The banshee does me fine especially at the price, don't get enough camping to make it worth spending more, do like the look of the zenith though, very similar but maybe a wee bit extra space to store waders etc

burnie

Any of you guys use a tarp instead of a tent for a one night stop over high up?

Go To Front Page