News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly storage system or regime

Started by 13Fisher1, April 28, 2013, 06:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13Fisher1

Need to improve fly storage approach to something more systematic as I waste load of time going thru 4-5 boxes seeking what I want (assuming of course I know). Did buy a larger fly box at start of season but still need to get some order even if larger box means less individual fly boxes.

Choices of system or grouping include but not limited to :
For Wets
1. Fly type (winged, bob, hopper, ..........)
2. Colour
3. Size
4. .?

So one option might be to sort first by type, then colour, then size?.

May sound like OCD but i would be interested in what others do here, other than just stuffing everything into a fly box. Liked Mike Cs roller fly box physical storage design but interested here in how flies are ordered or prioritised?

Guddler

My box is something like this:

25% Flies I use a lot
25% Flies I use occasionally
50% Flies I might never use but always insist on taking with me

I've thinned them down a lot over the last couple of years as I used to carry more than one box and the "never use" category was certainly a lot higher than 50%. This was down to my own shortcomings as an entymologist but at least I recognise it now and won't carry too much more until I know what to do with them.  :lol:

Inchlaggan

Whilst I store far, far too many at home I only take one box (OK, OK there are 128 in the one box) out onto the loch or river.
This gives me the chance to spend a happy hour selecting which to put in the "day box" in advance of an outing.
A dozen or so standard patterns in 4 or more sizes and then whatever takes my fancy.
In the end I will only use a dozen in a day, but I just can't stop myself taking a big selection.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Allan Crawford

I also need to re organise I'm thinking of emptying a box and starting again  :?

bushy palmer

Quote from: Colliemore on April 29, 2013, 08:50:35 AMI'm thinking of emptying a box and starting again  :?

I do that every year now.

This year (for the first time) I no longer carry a bag or rucksack whilst fishing. Once upon-a-time I needed a bag or rucksack just to house all the fly boxes I used to carry. I now carry two boxes which both fit in the pockets of my jacket. One has a bias towards rivers (50% dry fly 25%wets 25%nymphs and lures) and the other is bias towards lochs (about 70%wets 30% nymphs). By starting the boxes from scratch again in the close season I now have to justify to myself each and every fly that goes back in the box.

scoobyscott

I'll be watching this with interest as I carry about 7/8 boxes with me. I want to carry a couple of boxes at most. Ideally I would have a dozen patterns in different sizes I could fish confidently  but am too lazy/ clueless to do this   :P

Fishtales

Take the boxes with you all season. Every successful fly you use put one in a container. At the end of the season get all those flies and see how many you actually use. Base your two boxes on this selection for the next season. Use these flies all next season and see what happens.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

angus.milton12

Quote from: fishtales on May 01, 2013, 12:40:02 PM
Take the boxes with you all season. Every successful fly you use put one in a container. At the end of the season get all those flies and see how many you actually use. Base your two boxes on this selection for the next season. Use these flies all next season and see what happens.

Really good practical tip I'm going to give that a shot.

Fishtales

Quote from: angus.milton12 on May 01, 2013, 07:31:08 PM
Really good practical tip I'm going to give that a shot.

All the flies that worked this year may not work next year, most of them should though, but at least it is a start :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

13Fisher1

Quote from: fishtales on May 01, 2013, 12:40:02 PM

Good approach, will try this also!

Go To Front Page