News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glare, bad light and fly visibility – what can be done

Started by Wildfisher, May 17, 2007, 09:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

A few of us have touched on this problem elsewhere. Classic  for me today. Had serious problems seeing my dries on the water, even in slow water it was hard – in fast water impossible. Glare, bad light  etc can  make spotting dries impossible sometimes and that means missed fish. What can be done? Sometimes moving from one bank to the other helps but this is only really possible on small waters and even then only if you are allowed to fish both banks. Wading out and casting back towards the near bank can sometimes help.  Crouching down can help too, the problem seems to be the angle  and direction of the reflected light. What about fly design – colour choice? Changing the  colour of your polariod lenses?

Anyone got any ideas about this? 

harelug

I solved the problem last week with a black poly yarn post on my parachutes. This actually appeared to match the naturals very well. Haresear's been talking about carrying a marker pen but once you've blackened them you're kind of stuck with them so I'm tying with various colours for different situations. The bi coloured ones make sense, not so sure what the trout might think of them but I was catching last week with a chartreuse posted Adams used as an indicator for NZ style nymphing.

John
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

haresear

I have occasionally fished two flies, one dark and one light. I didn't find that drag was a particular problem. In fact I found that if one fly dragged, the other didn't, so one was always fishing correctly. that was when fishing the water blind, mind you. I wouldn't be keen on casting a pair of flies to a rising trout for some reason.

I was tying some dodgy parachutes tonight. I couldn't find my usual white poly yarn, so was using various substitutes in various light and dark colours. I once tied very small black hackled flies with a white sparkly wing (can't remember what it was) and they seemed to show up well in all conditions, so I tied one tonight using "wing and flash". It looks as though it might show up well in most conditions. If not, there is always the marker pen :D

Alex

That
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on May 18, 2007, 12:39:27 AM
I have occasionally fished two flies, one dark and one light.

I did this last trip to Beanie. A white f-fly on the tail, a normal dark grey on the dropper. Worked a treat but have  not tried it on running water for fear of drag.

Generally, there are some great tips here so far. Keep them coming  and remember  to post if you try them. Think I'll tie up some black posted Klinkies and give them a go next time out – that is if this f-ing gale ever moderates enough to get back on the Don.  :?

just_steven

Quote from: Acefisher on May 17, 2007, 10:44:07 PM
I have found yellow to be best in low light conditions

I find that yellow lenses also help with Ali G impressions!  8)
Booyakasha!

I'll get my coat... 

Steve

Ptinid

Unfortunately, on seriously broken water (at the tail of a run for example), polaroids don't help at all. What helps even less is trying to see a size 22 fly in that stuff. I was thinking about using an indicator, but I can't figure out how to attach it so I don't increase the drag problems. Would a very short section of shock leader work do you think? I'm thinking of looping it onto the tippet so it doesn't affect tippet strength.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

haresear

QuoteI was thinking about using an indicator

George, why not just go with two dries, one bigger visible one like your Wulff and the wee micro one?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on June 08, 2007, 02:43:38 AM
QuoteI was thinking about using an indicator

George, why not just go with two dries, one bigger visible one like your Wulff and the wee micro one?

Alex

That is the way to go. Works a treat.

Go To Front Page