News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Induced Take

Started by Wildfisher, May 25, 2008, 09:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

How many of you employ induced take techniques when wet fly and especially  nymph fishing?  The reason I ask is because I have used it with some success when short line upstream nymphing on the rivers this season. It?s been  a blind technique in that I have not seen the fish before hand, rather I?m just raising the rod tip when the nymph is passing a likely lie ? say in front of a rock or other obvious feature.

If you don?t do this think of how often you hook a fish when you lift off to re-cast.  :D

Clan Ford

I use it with nymphs but have no admit my sucess rate is not high - but I get a strike ofen enough to keep trying.  I tend to do better when I'm using the spiders - the induced take works a treat with them.

Norm

IrishFloatTube

I tried it at length for a big visible trout the other day in a riffle-glide at the tail of a long pool.

Upstream presentation was refused 1st time.
Same the 2nd, 3rd 4th times the fish was getting politely out of the fly's way as it drifted down towards him.

On pulling it up(downstream) and away, there was an instant pursuit, and when I stopped it, another refusal.
This was repeated a few times - the fish moving instantly to the nymph when it was moving fast away, but maintaining a safe space between them when it was at "natural" speed.
Never an attempt to take .... it appeared to be a "pursuit reflex action" followed by a "coming of sense" and the refusal.

Eventually he had enough and moved away upstream into the big pool above.

Made for a very interesting 15 minutes all the same.

haresear

I've tried it after reading Frank Sawyer, but it has never really worked for me and I only use it on visible fish as a last resort. Dead drift is what works best for me.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I've only ever used it for visible trout on the Wiltshire Avon particularly. and on the rivers I fish now it would be impossible as I never see them.

I've fished on the same stretch of water that Sawyer fished at Netheravon and the banks are often high above the water. I'm fairly sure that wading was banned, therefore the angle at which you are looking is much better for seeing the trout. The water is also very clear and smooth with a background that makes it much easier to sight fish than it is in the jumbled background and rough water of Scotlands streams. The river Leven is usually as clear as the Avon but the background and the fact that I am wading waist deep makes sight fishing a poor proposition. Having said that as I'm fishing the flies over a fish I know to be in the vicinity I often lift up the rod tip and it often works.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

dseabass

im a wee bit baffled by this phrase--surely any movement you impart to the fly is " induced ",, -- unless you cast and leave it static or drifting ---is it not one of those phrases that some anglers like to talk about to sound superior  :worms   , i hope as breac says all my fishing is induced

Clan Ford

Quote from: dseabass on May 26, 2008, 08:00:37 PM
im a wee bit baffled by this phrase--surely any movement you impart to the fly is " induced ",, -- unless you cast and leave it static or drifting ---is it not one of those phrases that some anglers like to talk about to sound superior  :worms   , i hope as breac says all my fishing is induced

Induced take mainly refers to river fishing where the normal mode is dead drift.  You induce the take by supplying movement at the point where you think the trout is.  Its a classic chalkstream techniquie - you can see the trout and your fly, and move the fly just as it approaches the trout, inducing the take.  The visisbility is not there on Scottish rivers so you induce a take by moving your fly at the point where you suspect a trout is lying - its a bit more hit and miss that when you can see everything.

Norm

Go To Front Page