News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tippet Material Recommendations?

Started by Wildfisher, May 02, 2023, 04:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

Quote from: stonepark on May 07, 2023, 02:56:38 PMAt the moment, fishing with Fulling Mill Xtra Copolymer (old spools), Maxcatch Copolymer and Maxcatch Chameleon (both bought last year).

It amuses me when I read that :) I am using reels of Maxima Chameleon that are forty or more years old :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Stonepark

Quote from: Fishtales on May 07, 2023, 06:22:57 PMIt amuses me when I read that :) I am using reels of Maxima Chameleon that are forty or more years old :)

I would say "This is not your Grandad's Chameleon though......"  ;)

"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

burnie

If line is kept in reasonable conditions it will survive, somewhere I have a spool of silk line that was my grandfathers, must be on the way to being a 100 years old. Not too sure if it has any strength though it was for coarse fishing not fly fishing, something he never tried, he fished for 80 years and passed aged 92, a record I would like to equal.

Crawhin

Currently on Fulling Mill tippet but don't really feel it's hugely better than Drennan or Maxima for that matter - maybe I just don't fish at a high enough level.  :) 

johnesmithson

Oh dear, it's humble pie time. Having extolled the virtues of Maxima Ultragreen a few posts ago I have just been properly outfished by my mate on a very clear machair lough on the west coast of Ireland. He landed a succession of lovely brownies of a pound or more, while trout after trout rose to my flies but then veered off at the last moment or failed to take properly. Everything about our setup was the same apart from tippet material. As soon as I switched to Grand Max the problem was solved. It was as clear a demonstration as could be of the advantage of certain leader material in specific conditions. He has now written 'Do Not Ever Use Again' in indelible ink on all of my newly acquired nylon spools.....

johnny boy

Quotehe has now written 'Do Not Ever Use Again' in indelible ink on all of my newly acquired nylon spools.....

So what will you be using when you come up here later this year  :-X

Arawa mentioned YoZuri earlier, it was Gordon who was suggesting that a while ago, not sure if he still uses it or not, not easy stuff to source.

johnesmithson

Aha JM, that is the million dollar question! Despite my recent observations, I would be loathe to fish fluorocarbon for migratories in lochs because I don't like the idea of breaking off in a hard won and precious fish which needs to be returned. Touching wood, I have never broken off on a sea trout or salmon when fishing Maxima, but have seen it happen more than once to other people using fluorocarbon. So I think it's horses for courses.

Go To Front Page