News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Aerial Mends

Started by Wildfisher, September 26, 2009, 10:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Surely an essential  technique for river fly fishers.

I am right handed and manage pretty damned good aerial mends to my right, but I do struggle doing them to my left for some reason. This is a bummer as more times than not I seem to be fishing from the right hand bank.

Any tips or suggestions?

rabbitangler

Cast over the left shoulder Fred the practice.....practice...............practice :D :D   Oh on grass so you dont have finny distractions. Try these

http://washingtoncouncilfff.org/NWFCE2006DanishCastingGames.htm

haresear

I'm not so good on longer casts to the left either Fred. I can manage OK on a shorter line, but start struggling as the line gets longer. Need more practice on the left curves and was doing that today a wee bit when fishing.

Peter, I like the look of those casting games. Alberto was talking about something similar in the coming weeks at the Glasgow casting extravaganza

Alex

Protect the edge.

Pete

Quote from: haresear on September 26, 2009, 11:18:41 PM
Peter, I like the look of those casting games. Alberto was talking about something similar in the coming weeks at the Glasgow casting extravaganza

Alex

I doubt I could make any of the casts needed to even have a crack at any of the casting games but I wouldn't mind seeing it done...

Pete

rabbitangler

That's the point pete, you use these as practice for real fishing situations. We've used them inside as well as outside. Inside you have to drop a couple - moon shoot for instance but most can be done indoors. with scoring you can get fun competitions or handicap comps. sometimes distance casters can struggle and those who fish wee burns can excel

Wildfisher

The casting games look fun, but there's nothing about acquiring the basic techniques  there. 

The Glasgow  Casting Club is a great thing, you guys are lucky to have something  that  functions for its own sake  and actually happens regularly.

I agree with Peter that you need a place with no fish distractions, Magnus said exactly  the same thing. After a good start our  last forum casting day fizzled out after an hour or two because of such distractions and I  never thought it worth organising another  after that experience. The venue was not really suitable and finding a good, central  place that  suits everyone is not easy.

haresear

For learning these curvy techniques, Sexyloops as always is a mine of such information. http://www.sexyloops.com/carlos/sexycurves.shtml

Alex
Protect the edge.

Blanefishing

Once the season is over we will see if we can organise an event on a sunday  it would be a challenge.  Meanwhile practice and practice some more.  Do it on grass water has to many distractions.  What I do is use a tape that is the only way of being sure of distance.  (zoomers 90 ft XS turned out to be 80ft against a tape)  Then position cones at approprate distances and practice eventually it comes.  My left hand is also rubbish

Alberto

Wildfisher

Quote from: Blanefishing on September 27, 2009, 05:49:24 PM
Once the season is over we will see if we can organise an event on a sunday  it would be a challenge.

That would be really great.

Just to clarify - I'm not talking  about casting with my left hand - what I struggle with is aerial mends to my left with my right hand - if that makes sense.

[attachimg=1]

haresear

That's my problem too Fred. Try it with a really short line and gradually extend the line as you get to grips with it. I hear those Mataura fish are really fussy :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page