News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Aerial Mends

Started by Wildfisher, September 26, 2009, 10:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on September 27, 2009, 09:37:40 PM
I hear those Mataura fish are really fussy :D
As if I needed an incentive...............................  :D

rabbitangler

I asume thats your good self in the 'small streams' video Fred. If so try to cast a narrower arc then follow through and turn the rod as you do so. You seem to be folllowing through quite quickly and finishing your casting stroke late/low which doesn't give you time to cross your body and execute the mend.

Wildfisher

Quote from: rabbitangler on September 27, 2009, 09:55:31 PM
I asume thats your good self in the 'small streams' video Fred.

It is indeed Peter, you'll have noticed that from the stunning good looks and excellent posture.  :lol:

I have been working hard to correct that fault you quite rightly picked up on since I made that film and it's better now, although far from perfect. What puzzles me though is why I only have this aerial mend problem in one direction.  :?

Wildfisher

I think  I have cracked this ? far from masterful, but getting there fast.

Being right handed it?s a simple matter to move the hand a little to  the right and back  or inscribe a semicircle. Dead easy, bigger the movement, bigger the loop in the mend, sooner it is applied during the forward stroke  the further  up the  line the mend occurs, width controlled by the period of the ?? cycle?.

Being right handed, to produce a left mend requires  the rod to cross the body as well as add the amount of mend required. The overall movement is much greater.

Sounds obvious and it is, but that?s easy to say AFTER you realise it. Concentrating on the cast, the mend AND trying to analyse what the hell is going on all at the same time as freezing your nuts off in the Scottish perma-gale is not so straightforward.

A video camera would have helped.  :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 01, 2009, 10:53:48 PM
you got me puzzled with the bigger movement to the left

The target in the centre of vision -that is the target is in line with my nose, not my right shoulder, so the  forward cast is always at an angle unless I bring the rod round and align the rod / casting  stroke  with my nose. It's not like  pure distance casting.

That's my theory anyway..................... :D

Wildfisher

Alan,

remember ............

casting angle =  (distance shoulder to nose / distance to target) tan?1  

...........  and you'll never go wrong.   :biglaugh;

Wildfisher

Oh  aye, and before I forget: as  your cast length tends towards  infinity the angle will  get as close to zero as makes nae difference.    :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 02, 2009, 07:21:37 PM
cant figure why a movement to the left would be any differnet from a movement to the right other than the muscles not doing what the brain thinks they are

That's fair comment. I need to observe more closely  and try to analyse what's  happening. All I know right now is it works.  :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 02, 2009, 07:53:33 PM
good lets bin that one before you try to calculate how much line you can shoot into the mend at a given angle :lol:

now let's see..................... :think2

:D

Malcolm

Firstly, until about 5 weeks ago my curve casting was always done with the rod parallel to the ground and either overpowering or underpowering the cast to create a curve.

Hares Ear (Alex) showed me the technique of curving the cast to the right with the rod vertical. However, I've practised this now and am happy with the results, curving to left and right off either a roll (easy) or overhead (much more difficult) cast. I think I've now figured out why the left curve is more difficult ....... but without going into that, the problem disappears if you hold the rod with the hand 90 deg anti clockwise (assuming you are a "thumb on top" caster) and then do the cast - it feels much more natural. Worth a try at least - it works for me.

Long casts are difficult with curves but I don't have the opportunity to practice as a long cast on my river is about 18 yards.   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page