News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting Stroke

Started by Wildfisher, November 06, 2009, 06:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian_M

Remember what Oli says about fly tying  ....

"we're not after making models"

Probably has something similar for casting.
Ian

haresear

Seen from the second angle, it looks less like a Belgian cast, which is a definite swing out and around on the back cast. Now it looks more like a typical river anglers cast, with the rod canted over to the side and the line passing below the rod tip rather than over it. Looks like he circles with his wrist and I think I probably do much the same cast when fishing, as opposed to "casting".

Why does he do it? Because it works and he is comfortable casting like that.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

From Alex's last post, i'm going to take a stab and say he probably does it because it looks so effortless and likely is the laziest cast he can get away with and still get the delivery he's after.

haresear

Quotethe laziest cast he can get away with and still get the delivery he's after.

That to me is the whole point of casting. Economy of effort (I'm a lazy bastard :)) and getting the fly to the fish.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on November 07, 2009, 12:40:36 AM
That to me is the whole point of casting. Economy of effort (I'm a lazy bastard :)) and getting the fly to the fish.

Alex

I agree and this reason over any other is why i hate using my 7wt rod. It takes too much effort to cast, you have to weild it not cast it. They take away the casualness, the laziness, that cool laid back cast :D That also probably why i don't like stiff rods, they don't let you relax like that. I also like to be able to cast really sloooooowwwww should i so desire :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on November 07, 2009, 01:13:54 AM
there are principles that make a cast work, with these elements you will get a good cast irrespective of any style, they are..line tension, correct application of power, a straight line path with the rod tip vertically and horizontally(irrespective of the plane) a stop and pause at the end of the stroke and a stroke that varies in length with the length of line cast,

Straight line path?   Oli's line path  is not straight, the rod tip is not always in the same plane. Might a day with an instructor be beneficial?   :D

Malcolm

Quote from: Alan on November 07, 2009, 01:13:54 AM
nah, there are principles that make a cast work, with these elements you will get a good cast irrespective of any style, they are..line tension, correct application of power, a straight line path with the rod tip vertically and horizontally(irrespective of the plane) a stop and pause at the end of the stroke and a stroke that varies in length with the length of line cast,

I'll agree with line tension and correct application of power. With respect to your voodoo cast amongst others may we treat the other elements as interesting hypotheses worthy of further exploration? :)
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

You see, I've got problems with the emphasis put on this "tracking"  thing which is the point of this thread and these clips of Oli..

Fine  for not putting kinks in your line, probably more efficient  and no doubt makes for better accuracy, or at least makes accuracy easier to attain. But real fishing is  never  that simple and I wonder if getting hung up on it might actually  spoil your  fishing or even make you less successful?

scotty9

Quote from: admin on November 07, 2009, 02:11:35 PM
You see, I've got problems with the emphasis put on this "tracking"  thing which is the point of this thread and these clips of Oli..

Fine  for not putting kinks in your line, probably more efficient  and no doubt makes for better accuracy, or at least makes accuracy easier to attain. But real fishing is  never  that simple and I wonder if getting hung up on it might actually  spoil your  fishing or even make you less successful?

Spot on Fred. Tracking is most important in a perfectly straight, tight line cast. But if you have serious tracking problems, it's going to affect all casts, you might have the loop unrolling way off target etc. But what i would say is manipulation of tracking is no problem, uncontrolled bad tracking is where you may have issues.

SLP surely doesn't matter the plane of the cast. Ollie's rod tip could quite likely be following a SLP on the back (a movement from low to high to his side) and subsequently follow a SLP on the forward cast as he comes forward in a vertical plane.

haresear

Good  and true tracking is essential for good distance casting. It is undoubtedly the most efficient use of energy.

On the other hand, when it comes to actually fishing, rather than entering casting competitions, then few if any anglers adhere strictly to all of the "five principles".  It is useful to know about them and how to achieve them, but when you have heavy flies whizzing about your head in a crosswind, then it becomes more important to just get a fly in the water quickly and safely.

I was on the Clyde today fishing a pair of heavy nymphs. My casting was not in the least pretty. The fish agreed :(

Alex 
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page