News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting Descriptions.

Started by Brian Mcg, February 19, 2011, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

Do some casting Instructors make it Difficult for Beginners to understand what they mean by the Terminology they use?
What do you think?

Brian

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Brian Mcg

Yep read through it. Pretty much what I expected to see.
Some have the ability to keep it simple,others veer of the easy road and take the hard road. :(

Brian

scotty9

Some make it easy/some make it difficult - it aint ever going to change. Different personalities, different understandings/interpretations by the instructors themselves and no perfectly defined set of descriptions that are agreed by all to be used will make sure it stays that way.

Have a read on sexyloops where you have members of the FFF board of governors, definition committee members and numerous well respected instructors having real debate on proper terms for things. That just outlines more the variation in approaches...

Some instructors are going to be good, some are going to be shit - same with everything people do. No point in painting a pretty picture over that.

Brian Mcg

Not quite true Scott. GAIA has a Glossary of terms and I can't really see any difficult terminology on it.
I know you are NZ but if you access the GAIA website you can read it. You may need log on details.
Also imo Sexyloops makes it difficult just for the sake of it. A lot of the time it is Instructor against Instructor
making up pseudo names for casts to enhance their selves abit

Regards

Brian

scotty9

Yeah I have the glossary of terms but the terms themselves don't really offer anything to a learner other than a name for something the instructor is going to try and explain.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's too easy to get caught up in all the jargon, a beginner doesn't need to know what X, Y and Z are actually called. They need to know how to do something, then assuming they want to get somewhere, understand why they are doing that and then if they really want to delve into it they can get their head around all the jargon. Just my opinion of course! I think you could quite comfortably get a beginner up and casting well without using any of the casting specific terms listed.

Brian Mcg

Very well put Scott.
What I mean about our glossary of terms Scott, there are no complex terms used.
Hope you are enjoying your stay in NZ.
Are you going to take the APGAI Assessment when you return?

Best Regards.

Brian

scotty9

Yep, got you now!

Not sure if I will do it immediately, at the moment I am really content - I don't feel the need to prove anything right now (I know my own capabilities). I'm just really enjoying fishing a lot, casting for fun, helping people where I can of course but it hasn't been remotely commercially driven. I'll definitely do it in the near future, I'm just not sure exactly when.

Really enjoying the stay thanks, a lot of fun! Just trying to make the most of every opportunity I get. Hope things are good for you also!

bushy palmer

Quote from: scotty9 on February 20, 2011, 10:46:00 AM
a beginner doesn't need to know what X, Y and Z are actually called. They need to know how to do something, then assuming they want to get somewhere, understand why they are doing that and then if they really want to delve into it they can get their head around all the jargon. Just my opinion of course!

I'll second that! :D

I've been fishing for a very long time now- I'm more than happy with my casting- more than happy with the amount of fish I catch.

I have no idea what a tailing loop is and couldn't care either!

Not meant to be a dig at instructors, it's just I feel it's the last thing the beginner should be getting bogged down with. Get your flees (and eyes) on the water- not up in the air doing acrobatics.

IMHO terminology need be no more jargony than 9 o'clock /1 o'clock to start catching fish which is what I thought fishing was about :).

Brian Mcg

Hi BP. Don't apologise for having a dig at Instructors,why should you?
I think you have a valid point in "doing acrobatics" .
Most of these fancy movements of the rod are "look at me casts" and have no real value to fishing
I would pose a question to Instructors " Have you ever had someone phone you up or book a lesson to learn the Voodoo cast"?
I will be surprised if they have.

Brian

Go To Front Page