News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting Descriptions.

Started by Brian Mcg, February 19, 2011, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

I have been on for a while now,lurking in the background,learning.
I followed your link. It just shows that you CAN keep it easy.
The Instructor I know(who?) that wanted to learn the Voodoo cast never phoned or booked a lesson. :?
I notice your not so camera shy on here :P
I sometimes come on here for peace and quiet

Brian

scotty9

A voodoo cast actually does have one incredibly useful purpose....

You know when your fishing and someone decides they're going to come over and give you a whole host of "advice" on what you are doing? (This hasn't actually happened for a while but still valid - maybe its a UK thing!) Instead of listening to their nonsense a quick voodoo usually is able to shut them up and get them on their way  :lol: :lol: I remember having a talk with Alan about this - we decided this is huge advantage of said cast  :lol:

whinging pom

It does seem with the mixture of abilities drawn to these forums, that the descriptions when aimed at the beginners question are clear, then they are also of value to most of us of all abilities.

However we men are competitive and territorial, and once a few casting instructors start to post. Ego kicks in, the jargon gets complex and semantics and one-up man ship takes over. (not so evident on this forum though I must add).
Sadly us duffers get left behind and feel further removed from an understanding that is probably just out of our reach... but should really be well within our grasp.

In my own fields of knowledge like photography I see the the same thing... There is a query and you try to explain on a basic level giving just the necessary to nudge the poster comfortably on a level. Then some ego comes through to show how much they know and complicate the instruction. Competing with my knowledge or my experience, rather than considering the needs of the questioner.
At this point you know the poor old posters eyes have just glazed over, and is further from understanding than they were when they asked.

It is a damn shame that casting and fly fishing have developed isolated in many different places, with differing uses of language, before the global village and instantly shared ideas. But that's the way it is, One mans lunge is another mans thrust and i don't see one governing body pulling it all together now sadly and unifying these terms and descriptions.
So it is down to the instructors... esp on these forums, to be responsible for pitching it at a level that all people will understand and stop trying to outdo each other in a public.
To show each other, and the learners some respect, or they will turn simple questions about say, using wrist action, into some dark complex art. And its the responsibility of other instructors to succumb the temptation to fan they're egos, with elevated debate, when, if they stopped for a second they would realise they are leaving the very people they are supposed to help behind and further confused.

One of the first 'Truths' about photography I always started with to my beginers was that.' None of this is beyond you, Its not high science.. I have never met a really intelligent photographer, And i have met plenty of really thick ones'.
with all due respect, I suspect the same is true of theoretical fly casting and its instructors.

Brian Mcg

WP. Your post is a minefield of Truths. There is no way that anyone can read it and not see a bit of themselves. Thankyou.
I am a believer that an ego,like a balloon is easy deflated. I hope I have managed to keep one at bay.
We in Gaia have our own website/Forum from now on any "complex" questions I have will be posted there.
We are,after all still learning.I have never met a person yet who knows it all(I have met a few that thought they did).
The thing about the Voodoo cast, although I think you jest Scott. The guy may have been coming over to ask/give you a piece of valuable advise. You never know, but if you rush to judgement you never will.

Best Regards.

Malcolm

I only got interested in casting as such in late 2009. Until that point it was simply a case of of knowing immediately what space there was to cast and then forming a cast to fit the space available. The many of us who fish overgrown rivers know exactly what I mean - you don't see insurmountable problems - you see space and that is the space you use.

You don't even think about it much, you just do it.

Without knowing it you may be:

1) leaving a long lead
2) forming a very narrow Vloop
3) Performing an horizontal, under tip, low spey cast
4) performing a right to left loop correction AKA a side swipe (thanks Alan!)
5) thrusting
6) introducing slack line in the form of a corkscrew or mend
all the time we have developed touch and feel and lots of subtle nuances in order to make a simple thing work.

All experienced fishermen are technical, experienced river fishermen are very technical . We just don't know how to describe what we do. Without actually being instructed we have learned as children do by copying and trial and error. Often getting it right and sometimes not. Most of us become competent using natures own way.

The instructor is trying to take us by the hand and  take us more quickly to the goal of catching a trout and has to take all these casts and break them down into parts then fit them back together. If something is going wrong or could be done better then there have to be words to describe the problem.

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

I don't think you can teach someone to cast by talking to them. Their eyes glaze over and they stop listening within a few seconds. We learn by observation and making mistakes. Try describing an egg to someone who has been blind from birth, now give them the egg and get them to describe it and only correct them when they get it wrong. The learning process is accelerated when the student is shown what mistakes they are making and what is the correct way.

I'm not a qualified instructor and was shown how to cast when I was 18 by a very good friend who, although the same age as me, had been fly fishing for a number of years. I have emulated him by teaching a number of people how to cast. Within two hours I could have them casting and shooting line that got them fishing and catching fish. They may not have been the most delicate of casters but they were over the moon at being able to do it. Over the years I have seen these same people get better and better the more practice they got. Like Malcolm I use various casts for different situations. Whether they have a name or are in the casting book I have no idea. As long as I get the line out and catch some fish occasionally I don't think it really matters. I think it goes the same for someone who just wants to be able to cast the fly and catch some fish.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Brian Mcg

The observations of Malcom and Fishtales have a lot of Valid points.
I do not give a jot what you call a cast as long as it is doing what you intended it to do. If I teach someone ,say the roll cast, now in itself it is a pretty worthless cast........to some. But if you then think outside the box and add a jump it then becomes the foundation for a spey, no where on the river is uncastable now. So if Malcom and FT add something else to that cast does it matter if it has a name? No.
I try to teach people how to recognise their faults,my thinking being if they can see the fault and the cure themselves, it makes progress quicker
If an Angler on a river comes to a difficult lie on a river,the good angler,Malcom,Buzz etc maybe sit and work the cast out in their head before they even attempt it.It may mean a difficult cast or simply a move down the bank a bit. My point is they think first then simplify it in their head. Well I think they do anyway I may be corrected.
I think what I am trying to say is what aperson does with the cast after the Lesson is ok with me. If it was meant. Happy days :D

Brian

whinging pom

Quote from: Brian Mcg on February 21, 2011, 05:25:21 PM
The observations of Malcom and Fishtales have a lot of Valid points.
I do not give a jot what you call a cast as long as it is doing what you intended it to do. If I teach someone ,say the roll cast, now in itself it is a pretty worthless cast........to some.  :D
Brian

Interesting to read that. when I had my first lesson with Robin Elwis, he spent so much of the time perfecting my roll cast. Dragging out the patient formation of the D, working on the acceleration and refining the stop ( tap) for the delivery. Then focusing on just working the tip or bring the mid section into play.... feeling the rod, and maintaining the patience.
Putting the back cast to it and Finally doing a full over head cast, seemed a quick add on and just a natural progression of the perfected roll cast.

Whether this was good or bad practice I dint know. When I do get glitches now it tends to be from over-excitement/panic speeding up my casting stroke ,and its the back section of the cast that lets me down.
I don't know if that stems from my first lesson, but at least now I know how to rectify it, and for the small stream work i do, most of my casts come from variations of that roll cast or from the 'feel' Robin insisted i developed before he let me extend to full casting.
Is it a foundation building cast for most casting instructors or is Robin unusual in this?

scotty9

Brian - yes there was indeed a bit of joking there! I am definitely aware of the benefits of listening to others.

The speys open up a heck of a lot of new areas on the river you can cast to but as Malcolm really drilled home to me - a very, very useful skill is being able to roll/spey to a reasonable distance with a very shallow D-loop. So often when practising I chuck a huge length of line behind me - not much use in those arse against the overgrown bank situation  :)

I agree 100% with Alan in that a learner will learn when he realises his mistakes. It's the same in any situation - you learn from experiencing the mistake. The instructor's job then is in part to point these mistakes out and show the person how to fix them. The approach is obviously a lot different for differing levels of "expertise" if that's the right word of the person being taught.

Brian Mcg

Wp you notice I say the cast is worthless to SOME. Not to people who will utilise it. I do not think that Robin is unusual in Teaching the roll cast first. The point I was trying to make is that if you take a mundane cast like the roll cast,look where it leads.
Last night I met davefromtheattic(don't know what I was expecting with a nom de plume like that :D) for a Cast or two. Now the guy can cast(mostly self taught) and we went through a few things(to much). Some people say that you cannot teach"FEEL" Maybe so ,but you can try and describe what you are feeling. I told him I was feeling the energy from my left leg,hip(semi open stance) and transferring it to my right leg,hip by very slightly rocking back and forward during the casting cycle. We were doing the overhead cast at the time,but it could be any cast. It seem to work for him (only he will know)and his casting looked smoother and less laboured. All in all I think with Dave he will become a really proficient caster as you can see the thirst for knowledge in the questions he asked.We went from the roll cast,to single speys to oval casts.
Scott the cast that Malcolm uses(shallow d loop) only enforces what I am saying about taking a cast,and making it into a hybrid cast to suit any given situation. You are right you should be able to teach mistakes. Try and do a deliberate tailing loop and it is quite hard,only because you have went throught the process of not doing tailing loops. It becomes ingrained in you not to make a mistake(doesn't stop me)

Brian

Go To Front Page