News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting

Started by Brian Mcg, March 17, 2011, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quoteah you scoff but i recall alex, scott and i once having a serious lengthy discussion about whether actually doing this with a marshmallow would work or not, alex was adamant that it would just flop off and he got quite obstinate about it Laughing

Did Vicky from the Viccy or was it Flygirl, not try this out and find I was right?  :8)

Alex
Protect the edge.

whinging pom

Quote from: admin on March 27, 2011, 06:52:14 PM
[attachimg=1]
Re various apple varieties and rod actions.

i can see where your heading with this, but maybe instead of rod actions it would be better to think in terms of Malling root stocks for the correct specie scions and their inherent bearing abilities combined with the optimum height for yield and convenience of cropping.
You wouldnt want to cast and control a team of heavy nymphs on a Malling 3 would you?

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on March 28, 2011, 01:51:29 AM
Did Vicky from the Viccy or was it Flygirl, not try this out and find I was right?  :8)

Alex

Was there not a similarly related issue that involved finding grapes everywhere for a period afterward?

gasman

Was there not a similarly related issue that involved finding grapes everywhere for a period afterward?

Yes Scot, Alan told Flygirl (Vicky) to put a grape on the tip of her rod and flick it off.
Only Alan could come away with that exercise  :makefun poor lass was finding grapes all over here
living room.

All the best
Gary  :D

River Chatter

Quote from: Alan on March 28, 2011, 05:43:01 PM
and yes i am responsible for a young woman having a frusrating evening trying to wipe the place down in a very sticky flat.

Takes me back   :D

Ripple

Quote from: fishtales on March 21, 2011, 11:04:43 AM
If the new angler is having difficulties then I would agree that having someone to mentor him whether an experienced friend or a professional instructor is necessary or he ends up not enjoying the experience and giving up. For the more experienced angler I think the ones who take the lessons are the ones who feel they want to take their enjoyment a stage farther, like someone taking the advanced driving test.

My personal look on it is that it doesn't really enhance the fishing and that casting, and learning all the intricacies that that entails, is actually a separate skill. I realise though that if there weren't those dedicated to learning these skills then there wouldn't be anyone to give lessons to the new anglers, much the same as driving instructors. Learning the basic cast is all that most new anglers want. If they can get the fly where they want it and catch fish they are generally happy with that and as they progress they learn new casts that suit there style for the situations they are in at that moment in time. Although an integral part of fly fishing casting, that is advanced casting and all that entails, is actually separate from fishing and is really two different skills.

Thanks as a new angler I agree with what you have said.

Go To Front Page