News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting

Started by Brian Mcg, March 17, 2011, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Quote from: Brian Mcg on March 25, 2011, 11:48:16 PM
Alan there ain't a pub in Europe I couldn't get home from.
I use a system that was shown to me,I do not know who owns them so I make no claims to ownership. They are as follows.

L= Line
A= Arc
P= Power
P= Pause
S= Stroke.

If one of the above increases they all increase and visa versa. It is easy to Teach and understand. IMO.

Brian

I've heard that too Brian, don't know where from - could have been you down at Tweedswood? Can't remember! I like it anyway.

Another goody that Andrew taught me, not in terms of the principles but what you do to make a cast:

Peel - smoothly lift line from water, speeding up into backcast.
Pluck - that final acceleration into the stop
Pause - well, you know, the pause!
Power - the whole forward cast

Found that to work well when teaching a newbie, 4 simple steps to get going.

Brian Mcg

Scott, Peel is a great word IMO . You need to keep loads of words/phrase's in your head as during a lesson you may need more than one.
How many times have you given a lesson but the pupil is still not getting it? Then you say one thing and bang it registers.
Allan I must at some point head down to The Clyde to buy my ticket. Maybe a good chance to meet up have a cast and a pint after. I am lucky as my mate doesn't drink so he is a" designated driver"(he loves titles).

Brian

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg on March 26, 2011, 11:46:59 AM
I still can't understand why "flickinging an apple off the tip of the rod" could help anybody,

Obvious enough really. Have you ever attempted to cast with an apple attached to your rod tip? If you had you would know  getting rid of the apple is essential.   :roll:

FFS smurf, pay attention...........................   :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg on March 26, 2011, 12:34:37 PM
An apple on the rod tip would make it bend so much that I'd likely break the rod trying to flick it off.

Ah but then that's when action and weight comes in.

Obviously a Granny Smith require a less stiff rod than a big Bramley cooking apple.

It's all about getting the ERN  right (Effective Rosacea Number) because as everyone knows apples are members of the rose family of plants

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on March 26, 2011, 12:56:07 PM
Peel, Pluck, Pause, Power sounds nice to everyone

For sure.

ERN  can be so confusing. Take for example a 5 weight TCX, most would rate it as a 7.   Sage may be using rowan berries or rose hips to perform these measurements. Yes, still  Rosacea, but bound to give a
radically different  Effective Rosacea Number from a French golden delicious.  The entire system is a bit messy really. Especially if the fruit is overripe.

scotty9

Quote from: admin on March 26, 2011, 01:39:07 PM
For sure.

ERN  can be so confusing. Take for example a 5 weight TCX, most would rate it as a 7.   Sage may be using rowan berries or rose hips to perform these measurements. Yes, still  Rosacea, but bound to give a
radically different  Effective Rosacea Number from a French golden delicious.  The entire system is a bit messy really. Especially if the fruit is overripe.

And just to make it even more confusing, everyone likes their apple at a different ripeness level. And we have to take into account the recovery speed of the rod as indicated by its AA - Apple Acceleration

Wildfisher

Absolutely Scott and it?s also worth remembering  that while red apples are fine in casting practice situations, when actually fishing the more subdued green apple is the better choice.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on March 26, 2011, 01:58:42 PM
sexyloops, the revolutionary home of technical casting stuff pays very little heed to 'feel'

I disagree with that Alan. They have considered it and dismissed it outright as undefinable

scotty9

I think that's because of their science based approach. They look for tangible things that are measurable and have no maybe this/maybe that element.

Feel to me is different than it is to you because I'm using my nervous system, not yours. Just like eyesight. Also what I interpret as feel is going to be different.

Wildfisher

True Scott. Things like ERN can only ever  be  a guideline. What feels right for you might not be as good for me.

Go To Front Page