News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting

Started by Brian Mcg, March 17, 2011, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

"Feel" is an odd one. Years ago I had to replace the handle on a rod after a dod took a liking to the superfine style handle of a favourite rod. I replced the handle with a thicker full wells handle - a shape I normally like but the rod felt quite quite different, I put it down to a different grip point and slightly heavier handle and reel seat.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Feel also changes with mood IMO. That's why I have loads of rods. Some days A feels better than B, some days it does not.  :D 

Teither

Quote from: Alan on March 26, 2011, 10:07:15 PM
i dont go for all that subjective conjecture on it, we all need to feel the rod unload, flex etc, it matters little if we think we all feel things in different ways, we still have to communicate roughly whats supposed to happen in terms of what you see and what it feels like, peel, pluck etc,

discussing it on forums appears to be strangely impossible but communicating it with even raw beginners is not difficult, actually its a whole lot quicker and easier than casting terms. 

Why did the chicken cross the road ? Same reason as the rest of us !

T

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on March 26, 2011, 10:26:18 PM
and yip chickens even feel the same things, we all feel the same thing when poked with a stick, why fishing rods make things more complicated is one of lifes great mysteries, i think its just the words that change.

In principle yes but in reality probably not. How do you communicate what you feel especially if you are not quite sure what that feeling is? And what you think you are feeling is definitely open to interpretation by your brain!

It's like when you go to the doctor with an injury and they ask you to describe the pain or where exactly it is and you say I don't really know. It's in that general area in the leg somewhere and it's a sort of dull ache, or is there a wee bit of pressure or maybe a stab and so on.

It's tricky  :lol:

haresear

Quote from: BARFLY on March 27, 2011, 12:53:29 AM
Can you overthink this whole casting subject?

Oh yeah. Absolutely.

Still, it does play a huge part in fly fishing. No other form of fishing involves so much time spent actually casting, so it follows that to get really good at fishing, we really should look at improving our casting. That in my opinion, applies to everyone who wants to be a good angler and is why I go out of my way to spend time listening and learning from great casters, like Andrew Toft, Peter Anderson and others.

Now, "casting" and "fishing":

I was told (by someone who guided him) that the late Mel Krieger was a wonderful caster, but nothing special as a fisherman, so to me it makes sense to learn the "casting" stuff and use what you have learned. Store it away in your head for when you need it, but keep it in a fishing context unless you want to enter casting competitions or something.

To put it in golfing terms, no point in being a great driver if you can't putt :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I see this  topic is starting to drift away from fruit. That's typical of forums though, 100 or so posts and the true meaning is lost.  :lol:

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

haresear

Nice diagram Fred. It is core to all that has been said before :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Indeed Alex. Although I have heard it said that Sage rods are better tested with onions, but that  can sometimes knock the stuffing out of a rod.

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on March 27, 2011, 10:36:50 PM
ah you scoff but i recall alex, scott and i once having a serious lengthy discussion about whether actually doing this with a marshmallow would work or not, alex was adamant that it would just flop off and he got quite obstinate about it :lol:

apparently sage and onion is a perfectly balanced combination :D

I believe my view was it would just stick.  :)

And you guys are making me hungry!!!!

Go To Front Page