News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

selling carp by the pound: Trout Fisherman #496 May 2017

Started by corsican dave, April 19, 2017, 01:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweed

Good on you Dave - looks like a great article, and certainly breaking new ground.  I might even buy a copy!!  :D

Wildfisher

Well done Dave. No harm in making a bit of cash  on the side especially as they are Dago fish  and it doesn't matter if they get hammered.  :lol:

Bobfly

~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

mattheweastham

I didn't see the article sorry (although I saw Dave's photos of it at the time on FB). Regarding the comments on photo editing, I think what they've done there is tweaked the shadows/highlights balance to create a bit of a 'HDR' look. It's quite common practice now, but like you I'm not 100% keen on it.

T&S went though a phase of doing that about 4 years ago, although when I spoke to Colin Riach about it (you might have seen Col's work accompanying Stan Headley's articles), he was more inclined to attribute it to decline in print quality than any editorial tinkering. I'm not so sure myself.

When I first started doing a bit for the mag in 2014, I found they were asking for the RAW image files, presumably because they want the latitude to process them in the way they see fit. That's all very well, but there is an argument for keeping control of your 'artistic principles', so I always send them high res jpegs, processed the way I want the image to look. To be fair, they've always come out pretty much true to the original when they've appeared in print.

Credit to Dave for having a go, and I'd encourage others to follow suit. The mags have a battle on their hands to keep going in this age of the internet and their predicament isn't helped by the perception that it's just the 'same old same old' with predictable pieces written by a closed shop of usual suspects year after year. Nowt could be further from the truth and there is a real enthusiasm from the editorial teams for new material from hitherto unpublished authors...it's just that they aren't getting much uptake.

If you've got something interesting to say - and all the better if you've got some nice images to back it up - then they'll likely bite your hand off. As previously mentioned, you won't get rich in the process.....but a couple hundred quid for writing about something you love - what's not to like about that?!

Matt

alba

Mark

Well done for something original Dave.

It makes a change from the usual tripe which seems to be on a 2 year rotation. I suppose there's only so much you can write about fly fishing for trout/salmon.

Go To Front Page