News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trout & Salmon

Started by johnny boy, June 18, 2017, 12:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

Picking up from another thread I didnt want to hijack.  I get the feeling from a lot of posts on here that a lot of members feel that this publication is a lot of drivvel and not worth the shiny paper its printed on.  I would like to see how far that goes, is it an outspoken few or the common consensus (why is it the dark side???)

I will admit to buying about 10 out of every 12 mags a year and have done so for over 25 years, I would not say i find every mag a fantastic read but i would rather have it than not.

'Fly Fishing and Fly Tying' and 'Trout Fisherman' but to name a couple have tried but failed to emulate its succsess (IMHO), probably down to them focusing on rainbow fisheries so its not my thing.

As i have said i get it almost every month, i enjoy the many different opinions and the thought provoking opinions put forward.  The latest thing for me is that i have started to experiment with lighter leaders, down from 6 to 4 lb leaders, not sure if i will stick with it but who knows, thats the joy of the sport.

I love this forum as well but like differing opinions as well.

So why do you think so many critisise our main advertisement magazine???

OR have i read threads who slag it off but its tongue in cheek and i am not savvy enough to pick this up???

alba

I buy it probably 6,7 times a year. Fairly decent reading although I don't always agree with a lot of the articles. A lot of why I like is tackle advertisements and reviews etc.

Don't see the issue with it if I'm honest.

Wildfisher

Can't really comment  as the last copy I bought  was in Manchester Airport n February 2012 when heading out to New Zealand. I have not bought a fishing magazine since.

I will say this though - I considered T&S to be  head and shoulders above the other UK competition. It has a long tradition behind it that copy cats like FF&FT just don't have.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on June 18, 2017, 09:26:15 AM
it cost £3.70. So for my money I got something that I can read in two hours.

One reason why I buy books. 

Mark

I agree, if I was starting today then I'd buy a few books. T&S is probably the best of the bunch but there's only so much you can write about every month.

As I was bored during the winter I read all the copies I have from '70 to '89....my god they are dull. Nothing in them of any interest, just lots of whining about the decline of salmon numbers. This was in the '70's when the runs in some places were huge. Seems it twas ever thus

There reports section did used to contain information on trout fishing, now it's just salmon reports. I suppose no one gets excited at half pound trout these days

Difficult to keep everyone happy but there's things they could do to make it more original.
I would say the magazine today is a better read than in the past but it's not for me now.

Laxdale

My daughter used to get me a years subscription for my birthday. Two years ago I told her not to bother any more as there was little to interest me in it.
I think all angling magazines (and books to a certain extent), are aimed at less experienced anglers as that is the biggest market.
I prefer to work out how to fish in any given situation myself. That is part of the challenge.

Only last year an article appeared in T & S. It was  sort of "how to" by a guy presented as an expert on said subject.....I, and all my fishing associates, regard him as "useless". And you have to be BAD to get that rating!
Which makes me wonder about the competence of other contributors.

I have to confess to writing a few articles in the Sea Angler magazine 25 years ago, but I grew out of that.

scoobyscott

I've got a subscription after signing up in gac as it was a tenner for the year. Think it was £30 all in with a £20 voucher for the store. It's ok for a half hour on the toilet  :shock: I do like reading some of the river articles of places I've not fished but way too much salmon stuff in it.

Highlander

I was an avid buyer of magazines. Way back it was Rod & Line in the 60s Long time now defunct Scottish Angler, The Creel, Sea Angler & then T& S. Now other than at Xmas & on my caravan holiday (for something to read) I never buy a magazine. The articles are generally hash ups of things gone past authors & writers of the calibre of lets say "Nightlines" simply are not there, instead we get Paul Proctor & Stan Headly & co. Like a few others have said is  still way ahead of FF&FT & Trout Fisherman the latter of which I would not give the time of day too.
I was lucky enough to buy three binded copies of I think all of the old Rod & Line from No1 onwards on E Bay for £20 or thereabouts so I am getting reacquainted with that at the present time. Like Fred I prefer a good book but rather than tales I use them as reference. One exception is Mc Lean's novello A River Runs Through It which I read way before the Redford film & today stands up there as one of the classics of fishing related writing.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

fergie

It's the magazine i will buy if I'm going on holiday and need something for the plane i used to buy it regularly but found less and less of interest in it. So i rarely buy it in fact i was desperate for a read at the caravan last week and bought sea angler instead and i don't sea fish.  :D

rannoch raider

I used to buy them all when I was younger. I did prefer T&S as many of the others were no more than adverts for rainbow fisheries and I noticed that many of the articles were repetitive and even featured the same photos here and there over the years. I stopped buying them a while ago but picked the odd one up now and again. I've recently started buying T&S and to be honest I've found it to be better now than it ever was. I suppose its a good way to keep up to speed on new products, techniques, tying material and flies etc. I think the development of flies, tackle and tactics has really moved on in recent years, take the various styles of nymphing being developed these days for example.  T&S now seems to cover more venues than the exclusive chalk streams and salmon rivers that I'll never be able to fish. I'm trying to get a wee bit better at river fishing so I'll be buying it again for a wee while anyway.
As far as Trout Fisherman is concerned, I can't say I'm a fan but then again, in a break from their usual 'aqua pigs in man made ponds' articles, they have published an article from our Dave on international carp fly fishing which was very enlightening and 'out of the box' for them.
Will reading magazines make me a better angler? Who knows, its good to keep an open mind and be willing to learn from the experiences of others, so it can't do any harm!  :wink:

Go To Front Page