News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tummel Flies

Started by Highlander, September 01, 2013, 12:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

The other post on Tummel permit & fishing got me thinking about the above style of fly.
One never hears about them either being tied or used. I have some tucked away in my wet Clyde Style box but other than a poor attempt at a couple on Fly Tiers page, not by me I might add  :) you never see or hear of them. Something I have maked down to address once I retire at end of year.
Bet no one here uses them Yes/No
Tight Lines

Only picture I have of one of mine.
tied on an 18. Wing is a bit wider than I would have liked but shows style well never the less
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

The late Lesley Crawford wrote of those in one of her books. Apparently they are not available commercially. They were so sparsely dressed modern anglers believed they were poor value for money.   :roll:

A few seasons back Malcolm caught some fine fish on this style of fly on the Clyde when dries etc were failing.

I hope you do this Alan. Write a book  It's all too easy to lose these old patterns in a blizzard of foam and CDC.

bibio1

I used to tie and fish a lot of Clyde and tummel flies. I think they were successful because I genuinely believe the flies we use are too big and bulky.

I think it would be a great book along with the brown trout rivers of Scotland. Not sure I'd want it to be a best seller though.

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on September 01, 2013, 12:27:41 PM
Not sure I'd want it to be a best seller though.

I don't  believe books have to be a source of new fishing pressure on our waters. Look at Wyatt's books.

Highlander

I spoke to Malcolm about these last year when he joined me on the beach for a bit of spinning last September's Stravaig. It was one of his secret style of flies he used when everything else failed. He seemed very interested that I knew about them too.
As for best seller I doubt that very much.

My wife says of me that "I am no threat to Atlantic Salmon stocks"
Sort of No catch & release
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

bibio1

I sometimes wondered whether it was the hooks they used that really made the dressings. They mst have been bulky buggers. A clydestyle green well used to catch me a lot of fish as did a blae and ginger.

Harpo

Quote from: Barfly on September 01, 2013, 12:15:30 PM
Klinkhammer`s worked for me in the past.

Aye, they work everywhere! :D

Fishtales

Fished 'similar' over the years. A combination of Clyde and Tummel tyings got all mixed up together in my early days of tying :) My mate was brought up on Clyde flies and fishing and he taught me how to tie but my wings were always heavier than his, like the Tummel flies. Haven't tyed or fished with any for years though.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on September 01, 2013, 12:45:57 PM
As for best seller I doubt that very much.

Probably not, but so what?

You have the tradition and the knowledge, you tie a beautiful fly, so I say go for it.  :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: Caddisfan on September 05, 2013, 02:27:57 PM
Is my understanding correct in that, with the Tummel flies, the flies were designed to penetrate the water or tumble through it more effectively, due to the sparseness of the dressing ?

That's what I read  Lindsay.

Go To Front Page