News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cape Crusader

Started by River Chatter, July 03, 2010, 12:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

I've been looking for a claret cape for traditional wet flies for a wee while now, but have found it difficult to know which are good in terms of hackle quality and colour.  The GAC ones are either too bright in colour (almost red) or way too expensive.  Anyone know of a good supplier at a reasonable price?

Wildfisher

If you cant find one try winding a red and black hackle together - clan chief style. That gives a near claret effect. I think I got a decent Indian or Chinese claret cape from John Norris some years ago. For traditional wets I don't think you really want  or need  genetic capes. I think  the barbs  are too thin, stiff and "wiry".

scotfly

Quote from: admin on July 03, 2010, 12:18:30 AM
If you cant find one try winding a red and black hackle together - clan chief style. That gives a near claret effect. I think I got a decent Indian or Chinese claret cape from John Norris some years ago. For traditional wets I don't think you really want  or need  genetic capes. I think  the barbs  are too thin, stiff and "wiry".

Completely agree with Fred there RC. Genetic for show, Indian/Chinese for fishin'
Try giving Steve Cooper at Cookshill a call. Tell him what you want and I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

River Chatter

Thanks guys.  I agree genetic isn't the way to go for what I'm after and wasn't considering this.  The chinese/Indian capes is what I have in mind, but there's no consistency in quality with these - good batches, bad batches.  I'll call Cookshill and see how I get on.  :)

garryh

Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Artifly sells great stuff, but I'm told you have to be very, very patient regarding delivery time.

River Chatter

Thanks for the advice guys.  I really like the look of those capes from Irish Fish Supplies, but the price.  :shock:  I'll probably buy a couple of Chinese capes from artifly.  Just need to wait 'til Mrs Chatter's out of the room!  :lol:

Go To Front Page