News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Had to happen eventually, £1000 Trout fly rod.

Started by Highlander, February 22, 2023, 10:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Wondered how long it would take them Sage new rod £1000 followed closely by Orvis Helios & Hardy. £950 + Tackle tarts will be at the head of the queue though. LOL
You can buy 20 x £50 Daiwa rod for one Sage. Surely Sage are not that much better well not £1000 are they or are we just getting ripped off?
Thoughts please
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Sage rods are good, but NO rod is worth £1000. Utter nonsense.

Bobfly

Sage and others must believe there are enough buyers out there.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Crawhin

I guess we'll see how long it's on the market for, that'll be an indication that they're selling some. I'll not be front of the queue though, that's for sure!

SoldierPmr

If you can afford a Test membership I'm sure you can afford one of these too.  ::)
I'm sure the sales will do well with the amount of eliteism in fly fishing outside of Scotland and Wales

arawa

I confess. I have a Tom Morgan Rodsmith 8'6" #5 that was a "significant birthday" present some years ago.
It is as much a piece of art as a fishing rod and although it casts a dry fly beautifully it is probably the last rod I pick out for a day's fishing. Cannot explain why as I always enjoy using it but then so do I enjoy using my venerable Sage RPL+ or my Hardy Smuggler that all catch me fish😀.

caorach

Quote from: Highlander on February 22, 2023, 10:51:22 PM
Wondered how long it would take them Sage new rod £1000 followed closely by Orvis Helios & Hardy. £950 + Tackle tarts will be at the head of the queue though. LOL
You can buy 20 x £50 Daiwa rod for one Sage. Surely Sage are not that much better well not £1000 are they or are we just getting ripped off?
Thoughts please
Tight Lines

Some years back the Sage materials designer was in the Hebrides and he gave a little presentation to a small group of anglers in a fishing shop in Stornoway one evening. It was a really interesting evening and it does appear that Sage are putting considerable R&D effort into materials, and new materials technology. They are based in an area where there is lots of aircraft building and have close ties to the aircraft industry when it comes to getting new composite materials. I personally have no need for new materials but all that R&D has a cost and getting to use "new stuff" clearly has an appeal to some anglers and that is great.

As some may know I tend to fish Leeda 11 foot rods for almost all of my fishing but I do have two rods built on Sage blanks and occasionally they get used and they are good rods. One of them was built for my by a US rod builder by the name of Dave Lewis and it is a really lovely rod. Like David with his Tom Morgan rod I enjoy fishing it but it doesn't actually get used very often.

So I'm all for Sage making £1k rods and for people fishing them if they want but I hope it doesn't kill the market for sub-£100 rods as those are what I mostly enjoy fishing and get most fun out of.

Bobfly

A lot of money can disappear into RnD. With Orvis, 25% of their total expenditure is on advertising.
I have a SageXP 8.5ft 5wt and a small 7.5ft Loomis built by a chap in Wales. Both really nice to use so they are each out only once a year in case I break it. Daft really !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Laxdale

This reminds me of the giys who took several Shakey Oracles each to Norway (might have been Russia), rather than one or two better (800 quid +) rods each. All the rods had similar actions and performance.
In short, all the Oracles broke. You get what you pay for.

Go To Front Page