News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

To start a new Vice I need to buy a Vice

Started by Harpo, November 01, 2009, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Ford

Hi Stuart,

I use something simillar to the first one - with the side leaver - a regent type vice.  I like them a lot.  A lot more than many more expensive vices, they are simple to use and grip hooks from 24 - 6/0.  I can't see past them but others can...

Norm 

scotfly

rabbitangler

I'd go for Number 1, the other two are cam locking and I personally don't like cheap cam locking vices...Dyna King yes.... but cheap no, the cams just don't last as they are quite soft. The lever ones will eventually lose grip but not till you've blasted out heaps n heaps of flies.

Harpo

Thanks guys that's great i'll get myself one.

Can't get a clamp one though as the dining room table is too thick for it I think.

I'm sure this will be the first of many fly tyeing expenses

Cheers

Stuart

River Chatter

Number 1 looks similar to the vice I use... nothing fancy, but it holds the flies ok and should do you fine. Mine has the heavy base too and I find it ok.

paulr

Aye no.1 Stu, almost identical to the one i use
cheers
Paul

rabbitangler

Quote from: Harpo on November 02, 2009, 12:05:22 PM

Can't get a clamp one though as the dining room table is too thick for it I think.

Must admit I much prefer a base to my vice. I've tied in too many situation where i couldn't or shouldn't(wifes best table :shock:) get a clamp ontu a table either because of depth but as often because the clamp cant catch because of ogee or similkar decorative edging.

Wildfisher

Quote from: rabbitangler on November 02, 2009, 03:25:34 PM
Must admit I much prefer a base to my vice.

Me too, far more versatile. I was reluctant to try it, but would not go back to a clamp vice now.

Harpo

Thanks chaps "buy it now"...done  :D

That'll be the only outlay for fly tying then, basically now I just raid old womens sewing baskets, pick up road kill and hey presto :? :D

Go To Front Page