News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Started by scotty9, November 08, 2009, 09:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Well more 3 and 4... i'm looking for a CHEAP light rod to fish the canal with. The choice has been narrowed down to what you are all thinking, the mighty fladen vantage, i don't actually like it but at the price i'm more than willing to put up with it for my coarse fishing  :)

Now the question is targetted at those of you that use light rods. Do i get the #3 or the #4? I was thinking the 3 for pure canal use but if i got the 4 it would be that bit more useable on a river. Does anyone use a #3 a lot on decent sized water? Heck, i could just buy both  :lol:

Had a dam fun hour tonight targetting some big risers, the 5wt is just too heavy for shallowish, completely still water though. Think i spooked everything even with a massive leader. I need to be successful with this, going to persevere over winter, it's really fun!!!

Malcolm

What sort of fish are you targetting Scotty? Not that I'm offering advice - just interested in the big rises.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Aye, not pike! I don't like pike, they're scary, they've got big teeth  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not 100% sure on what's in there but i do know there is roach, rudd, bream and carp. BIG carp! But I have been reliably informed that some of the roach are monsters. I was thinking a 3wt would be ideal for the canal but a four would let me use it a bit more elsewhere...

The 5wt is definitely too heavy.

A piccie from the summer:

haresear

It will be roach Scott. There are rudd too. I caught one once :)

The canal roach are not monsters, that's bull. There are plenty about the 12oz mark and the area near Auchinstarry is as good as any. I once fished a match there for Glasgow and the West of Scotland CFA and it was won with about 25lb of roach, which is a fine catch.

I've had a few on fly, but never really targetted them. I'll bet a sunk body like a CDC emerger would be the job.

I'd go for a 4 weight rod too. We get a lot of wind in Scotland and you can always use it on the river as well. I rarely go above a 4 weight rod on rivers, but often use a 5 line with it.

I can lend you a Sage Launch #3 if you want to try it?

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Alex that would be great, just to have a feel for a feather weight bit of kit :lol:

It's the monklands canal i was talking about, not the forth and clyde, so let me believe about the big roach!! I have no idea what the fish were taking tonight though. Tried a griffiths gnat with no joy, i think the line was my main problem though. I was covering rises perfectly and nothing!

By the sounds of this i should likely go for a 4 weight. More functional it seems. Reckon a 4 weight is light enough for spooky fish in not a lot of water, dead still water?

haresear

Roach are real barometers of technique and presentation. That's true for bait fishing and I'm sure they will be just as difficult on fly.

They are not particularly surface orientated, unlike rudd, so you should pick your time carefully. Light wind at dusk is perfect. Today was the day :)

Remind me about the Sage (I'm like a Shakespeare line, no memory) and I'll get it to you.

Alex

Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: bordertroot on November 09, 2009, 01:48:47 AM
Thought that was the Snowbee  :? :?
Bob

Same animal Bob. the tapers are different, but the same materials.

Alex
Protect the edge.

aliferste

Roach at this time of year sounds like a lot of fun - I see huge shoals of roach at my stretch of the forth n clyde - I know one guy on this forum targets them with dries during summer - looking forward to hearing how you get on  :D

paulr

Aye Scott 3weight is yer man for roach on the dries for the canal.I'm sure he'll chip in soon!
I though it would be more of a summer pursuit though.
cheers
Paul

scotty9

Well Paul, i was bored and thought i'd give it a bash! I'm also intrigued by the difficult casting, difficult fish and the fact it's just doon the road  :lol:

Alex - will pm you fri or sat with a reminder! I should be there on sunday if i'm fit to drive.

Alistair - i shall keep you posted! I always said i'd do it in the summer but never did, i'll just have to persevere! Nymphs, dries, something must work eventually! You going to casting club on sunday? Would have been good to meet you!

Go To Front Page