News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Started by scotty9, November 08, 2009, 09:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: bordertroot on November 09, 2009, 01:48:47 AM
Thought that was the Snowbee  :? :?

As Alex said they are the same thing (or at least were). Snowbee, Barrio, Pirate, and a few more are all Shakespeare lines. Great lines for the money  but they all suffer from sinking tips to a greater or lesser extent. Some say it?s water ingress but  I don?t believe  that?s the only reason. Some of them are quite fine at  the tip; Barrio lines, for instance, are very fine. This may match the tip diameter closer to the leader  butt diameter in  theory allowing better presentation, but the coating thickness is less  and I think this simply makes them less buoyant. I bought a SA Mastery this spring 3 x the price and  with a thicker tip. It does not sink.  It presents perfectly well; the coating  is far more slick and it shoots better too.

Malcolm

Quote from: admin on November 09, 2009, 04:07:51 PM
they all suffer from sinking tips to a greater or lesser extent.

That's a general problem I find with fly lines. The only real excetion I own is a Cortland dyna-tip which at list price is ridiculous. However I often put Gink on the tip of other lines - whenever I put it on my fly I just wipe my fingers on the tip of the line. It works just fine.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Was out tonight again, still no luck but i'm getting closer. Had a 4wt line out tonight, definite improvement, still think it might be too heavy though. The fish were free rising all over the place again but i couldn't tempt them with anything. I need smaller flies, thinner tipper, lighter line and someone who knows what they're feeding on!  :D

Any ideas people?

Squigster

Wandered up to the Forth & Clyde yesterday, the surface was like a mirror. I spotted more fish rising that I could have possibly expected.  The light was starting to fade so I couldn't identify the fish, (it was about 3.30ish), but they didn't seem to be moving far

haresear

Quote from: scotty9 on November 09, 2009, 07:19:28 PM
Was out tonight again, still no luck but i'm getting closer. Had a 4wt line out tonight, definite improvement, still think it might be too heavy though. The fish were free rising all over the place again but i couldn't tempt them with anything. I need smaller flies, thinner tipper, lighter line and someone who knows what they're feeding on!  :D

Any ideas people?

It has to be midge Scott. I'd try something tiny and black like a 22 or a 20

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Ginked black spider? Tiny black gnat? Right i'm either going to have to learn to tie very fast or try and beg for a flies for forum donation :lol:

scotty9

Small black buzzer fished just under the surface? Suspender buzzer? I've been googling midge fishing, these must be worth a shot, can't get out tomorrow though  :(

Squigster

When I seen the fish rising, I couldn't see any flies at all on the water, (and the water was very, very calm). As it was freezing, I assumed that they were rising to something in the surface layer, or very close below the surface. Bit I could be wrong, (and usually am :lol:)

haresear

My guess is hatching midge guys.
I would use a visible dry on the point, with a tiny black spider and maybe a tiny F fly on droppers. Keep your eye on the visible dry which is there just as a marker and if there is a dimple where you think your wee flies are, hit it. The spider can be fished sub surface too. That's how i would approach it anyway.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

I shall give it a shot, likely on wednesday! Here's hoping i can tempt them, got a few tiny f flies so hopefully they'll do the trick.

Go To Front Page