News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Started by scotty9, November 08, 2009, 09:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3 weight

Are you sure the roach are feeding on the top and not just breaking the surface film with their backs whilst sitting high in the water? I've been fooled dozens of times by this!

I would definately choose the #3, even this seems heavy at times for roach and rudd because they demand the most delicate presentation possible. I use an 8'6 #3 for my river fishing and so far havent had any real problems with the wind, theres always the double haul if it gets bad.

Im assuming you have a #5 rod from your post so it makes more sense to me to go lighter, the difference between a 4 and 5 line wont give THAT much of an edge, not as much as going lighter again anyway.

I think the most important thing to consider though is the temperature, I have only ever had roach on dries on baking hot days mid summer, fly patterns dont seem that important, as long as its small enough to fit in their mouths. I tend to find shoals that are close to the margins and watch for a while to make sure the fish are definately feeding before I cast and spook the shoal. Spooking one fish is bad enough in trout fishing but spooking 50 or so roach is murder!

I've only ever caught the odd roach on nymphs but at this time of year it would be my first line of attack.

Good luck with them, most frustrating fish I have ever went for!

Scott

3 weight

Oh aye, forgot to say, tippet diameter, most coarse fishermen use between 1 and 1.5lb breaking strain hooklinks for roach for good reason, they are incredibly shy. Use the lightest, thinnest tippet material you can find.

scotty9

I think you're right Scott. I certainly only saw one fish out the water all night.  Hopefully with all these master tactics in mind i'll catch one tomorrow! I really want to tempt them at the surface.... didn't have any luck with nymphs last time.

haresear

Quote from: scotty9 on November 10, 2009, 09:16:01 PM
I think you're right Scott. I certainly only saw one fish out the water all night.  Hopefully with all these master tactics in mind i'll catch one tomorrow! I really want to tempt them at the surface.... didn't have any luck with nymphs last time.

Personally I'd stick with bluebottle pupae (or larvae as a second choice).  :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on November 10, 2009, 10:12:23 PM
Personally I'd stick with bluebottle pupae (or larvae as a second choice).  :)

Alex

I'm not like that, i'm pure  :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of these wee buggers better get caught tomorrow! I need to get some tiny flies though, was looking on theessentialfly, some of these might do the trick: http://www.theessentialfly.com/micro-dry-flies/EF-3850-22.html might be cheap and cheerful but they're going in the smelly canal :lol: And i'm planning going to the fly tying on thursday, maybe i'll learn how to tie one!

bibio1

if your going down at the weekend I'll give you some small flies. Just let me know when your going down I usually tke the dog down there at the weekend

scotty9

bibio - that would be great  :D Say saturday, will send you a pm on friday once the weather forecast is a bit nearer  :lol:

Was out again today, cold cold east wind. Saw one fish and left soon after that, i couldn't bear the cold!

Go To Front Page