News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

polarised glasses?

Started by brian, April 25, 2010, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

Theres a lot of polarised glasses on the market and a lot of different prices too, i was wondering do the more expensive brands work any better than the cheap ones? 

cheers

brian.

Fishtales

Yes :)

Only up to a certain point though then all you are paying for is the name, a bit like camera lenses. The cheaper brands are flimsy, made of cheap materials and the optical quality is suspect. The colour can also fade on the cheaper models which is alright as it gets darker but not much good in bright sunlight. As to buying them try a few pairs on and see what suits at a price you are happy with. A cheaper pair might not last as long but you could loose the expensive pair.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

garryh

i have a pair that the wife treated me to .Bolle quite expensive.but the problem is there are still certain light conditions which call for different coloured lenses.I'm not sure if there is a pair which can cover all conditions.mine are brown lenses which are very good in all but low light conditions.they also have a tendency to magnify slightly which might help if trying to spot fish.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

River Chatter

Quote from: Alan on April 25, 2010, 05:57:58 PM
...which i lost wading across the clyde, but here is the rub, i have never found any that could compare to them.

Have you tried a bucket wi' a plain glass lense on the bottom?  :lol:

Anyway, I've had a pair of Oakley prescription shades for around 4 years now and they look and perform like the day I bought them.  Sadly, my eyes don't and my prescription's changed a bit.  Still, I'll let you all see them in a couple of weeks time when I post a picture of myself looking cool and holding a my boner!  Don't blame me for that one, Fachan started it!  :lol:

River Chatter

Quote from: brian on April 25, 2010, 08:37:56 PM
Thank f**k you cant post pics in 3d then RC :lol:, i would have to put on those glasses the kids brought back from the cinema.

Actually, I did post a 3D picture of some flies I tied on this forum a while back.  You didn't need glasses to view it, but you did need to cross your eyes... kinda brings us back to holding boners again doesn't it?  :lol: :roll:

Anway, off topic, sorry!

Malcolm

The fishtec ones are good at ?3.99. The ones I normally use however are Smith Optics with interchangeable lenses these are very good.

The best I had were Orvis HVO glass lensed ones. Unfortunately I sent them back to Orvis to repair the wee screw which fell out and Orvis binned them and refunded the money I had paid for them. Which I had asked them specifically not to as I bought them in a sale. I was totally pissed off with them over that.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

dazdidge

if you are still in the market for a pair I cAn recommend the  original POLAROID ones that are on sale at tacklebargainsfor just under 25 quid. I was surprised how well they work and are comfy.
darren

haresear

Yellow lenses are a good option for low light and amber/tobacco/rose/copper for high light conditions. Grey lenses are for real blubird days, so not such a good compromise.

I need prescription lenses now and use Optilabs glasses which I find good. I've used Polaroids, Action Optics Optix, Bolle, Airflo and lots of other brands. I found them all (cheap and expensive models) good except the Bolle and the Airflo, which were optically shite, possibly due to the wraparound lenses?

One other thing about the wraparounds is that they steam up more easily than less trendy glasses do.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteDo you find in scotland you use yellow lenses more often?

:lol: Naturally. I do use both the amber and the yellow, but mostly the yellow.

QuoteI like the wraparounds, direct light from behind is not an issue and I feel my eyes are better protected from wayward sharp pointy things.

Steve, the wraps are better than flat lenses for keeping out light, but I find my wide brimmed hat does that pretty well anyway. I tend to cup my hands around the glasses when spotting as well, which helps.

You make a fair point about eye safety.

Alex

Protect the edge.

aliangle

I don't usually wear prescription glasses, but I'm using amber Cocoons, which are supposed to wrap round specs. They cut out side glare, and the optics are pretty good and scratch resistant. OK, so I've got a big head, and they make you look like you need a white stick, but what the hell.

Go To Front Page