News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

polarised glasses?

Started by brian, April 25, 2010, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Lately I have been using the Oakley monster dogs (fishing specific) and the new man of wars.  Both are pricey but fish spotting capability of the lenses are both excellent.  Both protect from unwanted outside light leak and paired with a suitable cap will practically eliminate outside light.  I prefer the Oakleys as they are fit my head better and are slightly lighter. 

The Bolle boomslangs are just as good, have a pair in my boat box and think these can be found pretty cheap on eBay. 

Fluffflinger

Simple test for those of you considering a new pair of glasses, it's what I always did in preference to trying to explain why one pair cost ?39 and the others were ?150.

Take cheap and expensive (note not saying good or bad) outside and allow eyes to adjust to light levels, put on one pair or other and find something in the middle distance that you can just read (car number plate, or sign) then take off one pair and put on the others.  If you have gone from bad to good you will be able to read what you could preously only just make out clearly.  Reason, better optics allow more light to enter the eye. Result, more fish spotted more smiles on face.

Hopefully this will allow you to make a more informed decesion when "upgrading" or trying to justify spending a kings ransom on something that on the face of it looks the same as it's cheaper cousin.

My favourites, Orvis Tri Spectrum or Costa del Mar, have a soft spot for a long lost pair of Bolles too.

Regards

Richard

Go To Front Page