News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What is the ideal rod ................

Started by Wildfisher, February 02, 2011, 08:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Ford

10ft rods are not dry fly tools.  I find you need to step down a bit in length to be accurate enough in the cast.  It's a conundrum I'm faced with all the time on the Earn.  Most of my fishing is with nymphs and spiders (there is not much surface activity) and I suppose most of my fishing is done with the longer rod.  However, there comes a time, usually around the end of April and through May, when I fish a 9ft rod just in case I come across a good rise.  There is nothing worse than spotting a decent fish sipping away and being unable to put the fly where it needs to go because the rod is just not up to it.

Alternatively you could always consider one of these:-

http://www.czechnymph.com/en/e-shop/rods/hp9003-1023-hends-xp-9ft-3-10ft-2-3-hends-2-in-1-fly-rod-hends-xp

I know I've found myself considering this option but it's a fair bit of money if it doesn't live up to expectation....

Norm

Malcolm

I spent 2008 and 2009 with a Beulah switch rod - 10.5 ft + a 5 wt line. It was the only river trout rod I fished. It had a lot of advantages for spider and nymph fishing and the extra length was terrific for fishing directly upstream in fast water. It wasn't the perfect dry fly rod but there were no problems either. It was heavier but for anyone used to a 10ft 7 wt all round rod it was quite delicate.

Last year I went back to a 7.5ft 3wt rod for everything on the rivers. Again no real problems. I wouldn't want to use it with a size 8 leaded woolly bugger.

To be honest within reason I don't think the set up matters all that much. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Highlander

Fishing the longer rod is fine but for upstream work too tiring. Whilst I prefer it long for down & across for up stream work I prefer a 9ft & line would be a 4 or 5wt double taper.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

east wind

I feel compelled to stand up for the rights of the 10 foot fly rod as it cannot access the internet itself.

It is not too heavy or tiring, is not clumsy and can deliver a dry fly (or any other imitation) where i want it.

It is used by me mainly for dries but also nymphs, spiders and wets, upstream, across or down.

It also joins me on a few lochs.

It may be the victim of marketing pressure originating from the good 'ole USA.

It may also be outmoded for big river work, and i may sometime in the future wonder why i persevered with it, but i wont find that out until it breaks. I've used it heavily for over ten years and it shows no sign of retiring.

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

east wind

Quote from: Alan on February 03, 2011, 11:36:52 PM
EW, i calculate you at 6'2'' :lol:

Close enough, do they make a 9 foot 10 & 1/4 inch rod ?
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

scotty9

I've got a question about the upstream wets method.

I've seen the Ollie Edwards DVD so know the upstream spiders approach but why is it done differently to fishing dries or nymphs? Do you use a short line purely because you can't see a dam thing and need to be that close to see a movement of your leader?

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on February 04, 2011, 08:56:57 AM
Do you use a short line purely because you can't see a dam thing and need to be that close to see a movement of your leader?

For control and to be able to fish single handed if carrying a wading stick. I always think  that if you are having to cast far on small rivers  you are not fishing intelligently or stealthily enough. Not always of course but most of the time. Two main reasons for long casting in these situations I think are, anglers being brought up stockie bashing and  also not being able to load the rod with a very short line (use a heavier line). Fishing  upstream wets is damned hard work, if you use a short line it makes it less so. I often fish the way Oli Edwards demonstrates on these DVDs and it's a very pleasant way to go, but as Col says you have to be versatile.

Highlander

QuoteThink the idea of the long rod suits fishing wets up stream
That's fine but what I have found that the constant casting & rod movement to keep in touch with the flies is very tiring after a few hours. If you can manage it then why not but like everything in life not written in stone. Always have liked "the long rod" but for upstream work, not for me.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page