News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Advice on taking out a group of beginners

Started by tweedbunnet, February 23, 2011, 08:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweedbunnet

Some of the guys at work want me to take them fishing. There might be 3 blokes and one female

I think it will have to be a local Rainbow place to get them started as there are 3 such places within 30 minutes drive and a 4-6 hour session is probably about all I (and probably them) can handle.

I have a 10ft 7-8, a 10ft 6-7 a 10ft 5-6, a 9ft 4-6 (my good rod!) and an 8ft 6" 6-7.

So tackle will not be an issue

Has anyone done this sort of thing before?  I am inclined to talk to the fishery owner beforehand explain what I want to do etc.  I  might have the guys take turn about at casting and fishing.  Say 30 minutes and swap.  Probably best if I don't fish myself and keep an eye on them between two casting platforms?

Would appreciate any help/advice how I can make the outing as good as it can be for them as their first "real go" at Trout fishing.

tweedbunnet

sandyborthwick

One of two options would be my best guess.

1. Take them to somewhere like Mike Barios Haddo(spelling) where you get a fishery with lots of advice.(you'd have to speak and confirm with Mike first).

2. Go to a wild Bandie Loch where catching is not a problem and get them started on real fish :8).

It might help with suggestions on this if folks had an idea of the area you were in or nearest to. I'm sure the guys here can name a list of bandie water candidates :lol:.

Sandy B.O.

bushy palmer

I say wait until it heats up a bit- then take them for some real fishing. :)

alancrob

Take them to the casting club on a Sunday. That way they will be well taught and they can see the caliber of angler they should aspire to.

No need to tell them there are no fish in the pond.  :lol:

If they are still keen, take them fishing.

A.

Part-time

I'll second BP & Alan; better to take them to take them to a bandy loch and make a day of it. Not as easy as taking them to a fishery but if any of them get the bug you will have done a lot more for their future fishing enjoyment.

tweedbunnet

Thanks for comments, guys

I am in Edinburgh so I did not want to travel more than an hour or so.  These are young guys in the early 20's

I think taking them casting first and then a quick follow up with a fishing session may be best in late April/May when weather is better and is probably the right road.

Only reason I am thinking of a fishery is because there are three I can can think of near me which are all quite pleasant while I am really unfamiliar with "wild fish" places in the Edinburgh area

tweedbunnet

alancrob

If you do want to opt for "wild" it is only 25 mins to Peebles. There are some very accessable areas of the Tweed "really wild, man" where casting would not be too problematic.

There are also 2 very fishable wee rivers running through the city, although they tend to require a bit of guile and the willingness to wade.

All that into account I would probably want to use a nice open still water for the introduction so a puddle might be the option.

A.

StuDoig

Have you considered seeing if any of the fisheries will do you a deal - a couple of hours tution maybe?  Might not work out much more than just buying the day ticket? (and give you a chance to fish while they are getting lessons).  Then supervise as they practise what they've been taught?

Anyhoo, if its a group of absolute beginners, I'd definitely take them out to learn the rudiments of casting first.  I'm pretty much an absolute beginner myself (just started last year) and I spent the first couple of trips really struggling just to get the line out!  Not much better now mind......  :(

I didn't mind much as I was going to lochs were it was free to fish (and obscure ones where possible so I wouldn't ruin anyone else's days sport), but I could see it being frustrating having paid to thrash water and scare the fish.......

If your going wild I'd definite take a stove and brewing kit - amazing how much better things seem over a cup of tea (and how much benefit can be gleamed from putting the rod down for 5 mins when everything is going belly up with the casting/tangles etc!).

If your in Edinburgh - can you use the wee loch beyond Arthur's seat for a bit of casting practice?  No idea of access rules, wildlife restrictions etc there tho.

Stu

Inchlaggan

As a general rule, I'd go for the wild location.
But being realistic, and as long as you give them the "this is just for the first time, this is not for real" lecture, I'd go for Loganlea (see the website). And do a midweek deal with the manager.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Malcolm

I did this last year for a family of four: Mum, dad and twins over 2 days doing everything from buying tackle and gear to teaching them to use both salmon and trout gear. I've got another big session later on this year as well on the basis of that one with the family.

Anyway.

Don't let them have a fly on for at least the first hour of casting. A bit of wool at the end of the leader is all they'll need to start.

A really useful way for many beginners is to get them to aerialise a short line with them standing sideways watching the line all the time - making sure that the line is straight before starting the backwards and forwards cast. Start them off with just 6 or 7 yards then extend the line by small increments. It gives newcomers a feel for the rhythm required.

A small open river can be a good place to start - fishing down and across. It means the line is nicely extended before the cast.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page