News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wildfisher Fly Lines.

Started by guvnor77, June 11, 2011, 02:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guvnor77

Anyone tried the Wildfisher fly lines on sale here? Price is excellent, but would like a review or somethin before buyin.

haresear

Honest review:

I thought the lines I tried were very supple, floated well and the tapers were very good, allowing for good long casting in real fishing terms rather than tournament casting.

The only downside for me was that I thought the coating could be more slick. On a WF line, once the head was out the tip ring the lines cast very well indeed. At shorter range I prefer other lines and so that's what I fish with (but those cost three or four times as much).

Summary: Very good for the money.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

A very fair assessment Alex.

I have always avoided getting  "reviews" done by pals, examples of which can be seen elsewhere.   :roll: In my opinion, at best they should be viewed with suspicion and absolute caution.  You quite simply will not get a 60 quid fly line for 15 quid!  Not that all 60 quid lines are flawless either of course but when you buy, for example,  a Rio or an SA line part of what you pay goes to fund future  research and development not to mention pay wages and salaries for employees!  We small scale suppliers do not have these costs, no matter what we call ourselves!

I prefer the same honest to goodness, open, honest,  no bullshit  approach to selling these lines as I do with everything I do.

In the 9 months I have been selling the lines I  have sold hundreds. I have not had a single complaint which is great and I have not been responsible for a single plastic spool or box in any landfill which is also great! The lines are manufactured by the same UK maker as most other small scale line suppliers so I know how much everyone else is paying for the lines they sell. At £15 I prefer to take a more reasonable profit than some others. I would be embarrassed to charge much more without offering some added value - as Pitsford Pirate does with the extras he throws in. Boxes and plastic spools that end up in the bin  are not, in my opinion, added value.

I would not hesitate to recommend others  where I believe  the supplier offers good value. Pitsford Pirate, Caimore being two excellent examples.

I  had emails this week from two top fishing guides in New Zealand, John Boyles and Peter Carty. They both used my heron grey lines in the closing weeks of their season and got on well with them findng them to be good floaters and great value.

My most honest recommendation is that I use these lines myself exclusively now, at home and abroad. One day earlier this year I caught 8 wild brown trout on a river, in 8 hours on dry flies, smallest 1lb  biggest  6lbs, using a Wildfisher "River Don"  Heron grey!  They are no bullshit fishing lines and they do the job! 

Malcolm

I'll be brief! I bought a 6 weight two months ago and after trying it several times I bought an 8 weight. Not as good as my favourite Cortland Western Drifter but these cost £40-£50.

Very good value lines and I'll order again.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

An often thorny subject regarding floating fly lines is the tendency for the fine  tips to sink sometimes.  I find it quite amusing, that many suppliers tend to "steer  round"  this prickly subject, I prefer the honest, full frontal approach.  Just like all the Barrio, Pirate, Snowbee XS, SA  etc etc and other makes and brands I have used  and even the  shiny new "out of the box"  expensive Rio line Joe was using for the first time  when  we were out last  week,   sometimes the tips will sink on my lines,  especially  when using  long leaders in turbulent water.    

I cover this  and make some suggestions  how to get round it on the Wildfisher Fly Line web site here:  http://www.flylines.org/index.php?page=hints

For years now, no matter what make of  line I have been using I always, as a matter of course, apply Mucilin to the so-called floating  poly leaders which I believe drag fine line tips under and while I'm  at it the last few feet of fly line. I have been doing this for years and had no problem with line coating degradation. Some manufacturers have brought out new – super buoyant tip fly lines – an admission if ever there was one that the tips of their existing lines sink turned into a marketing opportunity!   :lol:

Malcolm

Quote from: admin on June 11, 2011, 06:08:11 PM
Some manufacturers have brought out new – super buoyant tip fly lines – an admission if ever there was one that the tips of their existing lines sink turned into a marketing opportunity!   :lol:

That is why I like the Cortland Western Drifter however the super buoyant tip makes for a very strange casting experience which needs some getting used to. The tip is fatter for one thing and also stops extreme accuracy as the super light tip is much more affected by wind.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on June 11, 2011, 06:30:43 PM
but most importantly, the tip dont sink.

Generally that's right, they don't.  I have never had a problem at all on lochs, only on rivers and even then not always. Once the poly leader sinks  down they go, again not always, but sometimes they do. Perhaps  it has something to do with, in some situations,  under - tow / currents getting hold of the leader once it's under - I don't know.   Joe's new Rio on the other hand  went down like a brick pretty much straight away last week, on the loch. I think a bit of floatant on the leader / line tip sorted that too. It's easy to start getting anal about things like this when all you really need is a small tin of grease!  I reckon the grey line is more slick than the white. I think Alex thought the same. Complicated isn't it?  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on June 11, 2011, 06:37:07 PM
That is why I like the Cortland Western Drifter however the super buoyant tip makes for a very strange casting experience which needs some getting used to. The tip is fatter for one thing and also stops extreme accuracy as the super light tip is much more affected by wind.

Snowbee also make one now. I'm told it's a terrible line to fish with / cast but  have never tried one, so cannot say. Like most things it's a compromise. Thinner tip  = better presentation but less buoyancy. Thicker tip  = more buoyancy, but less delicate.

guvnor77

Well thanks for those crits chaps - i'll get one to try - i know £15 isn't much for a line, but wanted some info from those in the know! I've been a slave to Cortland lines for years - need a wee change!

Wildfisher

Quote from: wee bri on June 12, 2011, 12:13:50 AM
Personally, I'd prefer them shortened to 25 metres from 30 metres.

Most lines are far too long Brian, I agree with that. Some are just totally ridiculous and will never fit onto a normal reel. As my WF lines are for fishing and  do not have crazy back tapers I normally just cut a few meters off the running line - cutting off is easier than putting on.  :lol:   Or another option is buy a DT and cut it in 1/2 - 2 lines for  the price of one and both perfect for normal fishing - that way a long line is a definite advantage as long as it's a DT  :8)

Go To Front Page