News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

10wt Reels

Started by Robbie, September 05, 2011, 01:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

As I hurtle down the slippery slope into pike fishing I have picked up a suitable rod and can see some long forceps coming my way shortly.  Now I am on the look-out for a suitable reel.  Can any of you pikers out there offer some advice?  I don't want to spend too much (spent less than £50 on the rod) but wonder if i need to consider the drag system, or am i essentially looking for a line holder?

Was considering one of these:
http://www.garryevans.co.uk/okuma-slv-fly-reels-451-p.asp

Your thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

Wildfisher

I'm using a Snowbee Classic 7-9 it holds a  #10 line OK . Wide arbour, plastic  so it's also fine for salt water. It's pretty good at about £30.

Inchlaggan

Both of the above suggestions would fit the bill, though I find the drag settings a bit fiddly on some Okuma reels.
A set up like this also opens the opportunity for SWFF, so plastic is an advantage.
Consider how you prefer to play your fish at the moment.
In piking there is a real chance that you will be playing 15lb+ fish, tail-walking. So your set-up and drag need to be really robust.
I have seen a plastic reel broken at the reel seat.
Having said that, I play (the few) fish by hand, so may not be the best to give advice on drag systems.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

paulr

Hi Robbie,
I use Okuma SLVs for my pike and trout fishing. Love them and never had any problems.
cheers
Paul

Robbie

Thanks for all the info and links gents.  It was the thought of hooking a larger fish that made me think a more substantial reel would be required.  A quick search for Snowbee XS reel makes me thick they are a bit out of my price range for now, the XSD may be a consideration but at ~£70 is a bit on the high side as well.

Am wondering if the Snowbee Classic reel holds enough backing, the fish in Callater are unlikely to cause any problems but some of the fish from waters like Mentieth and Venachar may be a bit harder to control.

Think I am leaning towards the Okuma SLV as it is an aluminium reel am I right in thinking it should be OK in salt water?

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Robbie on September 05, 2011, 08:37:29 PM
Think I am leaning towards the Okuma SLV as it is an aluminium reel am I right in thinking it should be OK in salt water?
Yep, but clean it every time, as soon as you get home.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

alba

danica large arbour, 25 quid cheap and cheerful, plastic, bombproof, and about 4 quid for a spare spool, no drag tho

corsican dave

have to say the scierra xdp is far and away the best reel i've ever owned. downside is it ain't cheap and the spare spools are extortionate (for mere mortals. we're not in pate or hardy territory here) i use an airflo balance for my swff and piking, but i'm kinda hoping it's going to die sometime soon as i'm not convinced about the drag and the funky frame system is a bugger for tangling your leader when stored.. that said, it's resisted salt water well and dealt with a few pike. i've just got an okuma airframe as a back-up reel: i'm still undecided about resin reels, but the drag feels great, it's apparently saltwater proof and it's got a sort of knock-about sturdiness that'll make it an ideal kayak reel. bloody cheap, too! about £30 with 3 spare spools :D

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Traditionalist

I am very satisfied with my Okumas.  Not too expensive and great for pike and saltwater. Some info here;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16629.0

TL
MC

Allan Crawford

A good drag essential !
Hook a big girl in the spring or summmer and you will need it, just hang on  :lol:

Go To Front Page