News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

10wt Reels

Started by Robbie, September 05, 2011, 01:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Thanks for all the info gents, I now have more options to consider than before.  May pull together a comparison table if I can get the time.

3 weight

Buy the slv, great reels for the price, also don't worry about backing capacity, pike make short sharp runs and unless you've cast the full line and 5o yards of backing I doubt they would ever give you cause for concern. No matter how good the drag system is its essential to have it set properly, too tight and you'll pull the hook or get snapped, too loose and you'll overrun and get horrible tangles, either way your onto plums!

Robbie

In the end I went for the Okuma SLV.  Just bout the reel, figure a spare spool and sinking line can wait for now.  Was not too keen on buying from the States via EBay, perhaps being a bit over cautious but did not think it worth the risk on a relatively cheap item.

Thanks again for all the information gents

Traditionalist

Robbie

I was going to say please don't show me links where I could have bought the reel for less, but that would be selfish.  I will just have to resist looking for now...

3 weight

Why not save yourself the price of a spare spool and use a shooting head set-up? Perfect for casting big pike flies and you can have as many sinking densities as you like without ever changing your spool.

Go To Front Page