News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

From Shocked of Glen Garry

Started by Inchlaggan, January 31, 2012, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Let's hope  some banker does not use this years bonus and buy it as a holiday home. Not everyone liked Mike, I know, but at least  he did keep it going as a hotel. I stayed there one night myself 25 years ago, not fishing, it was a nice place and full of character.

Otter Spotter

Sounds like it may have a lot of potential. Having grown up in a place similar there is a balance to be struck between 'supporting the local community' and running a profit making business. The locals can be your life blood in the winter months but you need to pander to the tourists when you can in the summer which can at times cause conflict and also any additional revenue streams can sometimes upset the locals. Looks like it needs a great deal of work done to brighten the place up a bit but the foundation is there for a decent growing concern. Whats the 85 acres like? It doesnt give much away in that respect in the blurb?

Always been a dream of mine to have a place like this with 85 acres you could have all sorts going on eco chalets, horses shooting etc etc. But the question is given the current economic climate and the banks reticence to lend to small business is it viable? Youd need to cough for the purchase and look to invest 150-250k  'exploiting' potential revenue streams. Gonna be around 70k a year to cover rates and small staff more if you are pushhing the grub a la gastro pub as decent chefs dont come cheap. Then you got accomodation issues ideally youd want to employ from the local community but this is not always possible so you'd have live in staff.

HHmmmm lots of food for thought, it is a lovely place!!
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Malcolm

I've stayed there myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. Any illusions I had of running a hotel disappeared after a natter with Jack Watson up at the Cape Wrath one evening. Certainly not a lifestyle for me.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Inchlaggan

Got in touch with the owner last night and learned a few things. Of course, his reasons are his own and even the few he shared with me I would not post in a forum as I am sure you will understand. But he said much to allay any fears that I had.
To answer some of the points that have been raised.
Most of the acerage is south of the road, directly in front of the hotel and the river bank, I doubt the planners would be happy with any building there.
He's had the place for 11 years.
The new owners (be it  as a hotel or private residence) would decide fishing access and (in the case of it continuing as a hotel) would have to establish the same good working relationships with the other riparian owners to allow guests access to waters not listed in the schedule.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Stovies

Sad to hear. Stayed at the bunkhouse a few years ago, had a great meal and really enjoyed the stay. Mike was a pleasant host, and i wish him well.

burnie

Looks like it's sold then,was it you Fred?

Wildfisher

Quote from: burnie on April 21, 2012, 03:49:49 PM
aye, it's now  the forum main stravaig venue. 

Inchlaggan

Quote from: burnie on April 21, 2012, 03:49:49 PM
Just been there today and was not told that a sale had gone through, unless you know better.....
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Black-Don

Quote from: admin on February 01, 2012, 10:41:46 AM
Let's hope  some banker does not use this years bonus and buy it as a holiday home. Not everyone liked Mike, I know, but at least  he did keep it going as a hotel. I stayed there one night myself 25 years ago, not fishing, it was a nice place and full of character.

Mike was brand new with us. I really hope the " Hotel " falls into sympathetic hands !

I  think Glen Garry needs a hotel and not a Laird !

burnie

Quote from: Inchlaggan on April 21, 2012, 03:56:55 PM
Just been there today and was not told that a sale had gone through, unless you know better.....
The estate agents web site has it under offer with a closing date of 1st March on it,that's why I thought it sold.

Go To Front Page