News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

12v battery powered trolling motors

Started by corsican dave, December 09, 2012, 08:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

looking at getting one of these to use with both an inflatable dinghy and even maybe my canoe. anyone got any experience/thoughts on models/power/pros-cons etc?

have seen a couple on amazon reduced from around £180 to £70-ish

i'm thinking the battery is going to be the heavy/expensive bit!!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Inchlaggan

I own a Minn Kota (which appear rebranded). Trolling in a canoe/light boat is the best they can do, and even then in light weather.
The battery (not a car one) needs to be around 90 amp hours deep-cycle type- see caravan suppliers- will cost £70+, add charger and they are bloody heavy.
I love it, in the right conditions, the silent running is the key feature.
Go for one with a continuously variable speed control rather than set speeds.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

sinbad

Been thinking about this as well, my concern is if i was away for a couple of days, how long would it run? Might be better with a little petrol outboard. By the time you add the weight of battery would there be much between them as far as lugging kit around?Sb

Inchlaggan

8hrs at trolling speed pushing around 25 stone of boat and gear.
Honda 2hp four stroke weighs less than electric and battery, but costs (new) about twice as much (electric and battery).
Go."

sinbad

Apache canoes do a bracket for about £30 that lets you fit it on a canoe but i suppose you could make one pretty simply. Sb

fergie

Id go with a small petrol motor every time.Our lochs are just too unpredictable.
They do have their place though great positioning engines and for slow trolling .

Wildfisher

Quote from: fergie on December 09, 2012, 09:21:28 PM
Id go with a small petrol motor every time.Our lochs are just too unpredictable.

Agreed. These battery operated things are only suitable for small sheltered lochs or  ponds. They are dangerous on big waters. I have a minn kota 36 and it's pretty hopeless. The bigger ones are a bit better but you will need a bank of batteries. Buy a small 2HP 4 stroke Honda.

Malcolm

They're great for drift control and surprisingly good on canadians. I've got a bracket rigged for my 30 Minn Kota and it works very well. If you keep it on .75 full power you'll get a lot more out of the battery for very little drop in speed. I use a 120 deep cycle leisure battery.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

They are indeed brilliant for quick drift  control and correction, especially on lochs like Loch Lee where you try to  stay on the drop-off as you drift along the bank. The ideal set up would be a petrol engine for getting about safely and the electric whilst fishing.

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on December 09, 2012, 10:47:02 PM
They are indeed brilliant for quick drift  control and correction, especially on lochs like Loch Lee where you try to  stay on the drop-off as you drift along the bank. The ideal set up would be a petrol engine for getting about safely and the electric whilst fishing.
exactly
Go."

Go To Front Page