News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

It had to come the £1000+ fly rod.

Started by Highlander, March 10, 2013, 06:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Wondered when I would see it.
G-Loomis NRX Green Rods 15ft  £1099
Thought Hardy,Sage or Winston would have been the first with the Hardy Sintrax 15ft at just a pound short of £1000.
My question is. Are they worth all that money or would it be better to learn to cast properly I know the technology is in the blanks because the fittings alone can not justify that price as they are no better than any others on most rods. Anyway I have seen some dodgy looking cork on some of these high end rods G- Loomis included.
Thoughts people.

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

bushy palmer

Still it's a third of the cost of some of the cane rods out there :roll:
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/hardy-moran-cane-series-fly-rods~11028.html

I agree about the cork- Hardly comparable I know, but I tried a few rods in the 500-£700 class last year by people like orvis, hardy etc and the quality of the cork was shocking.

Allan Crawford

I thought these top end salmon rods breached the £1000 a few years ago ?

Highlander

QuoteI thought these top end salmon rods breached the £1000 a few years ago ?

Colliemore, it disnae matter what date they broke the £1000 marker. My intro only leads to the question.
"Are they worth all that money or would it be better to learn to cast properly"
:)
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on March 10, 2013, 06:47:25 PM
Are they worth all that money or would it be better to learn to cast properly

No  and yes. A good caster will perform better with a £100 rod than a poor caster will with a £1000 rod.

People look for magic bullets and are willing to pay for them

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Highlander on March 10, 2013, 07:20:07 PM
Colliemore, it disnae matter what date they broke the £1000 marker. My intro only leads to the question.
"Are they worth all that money or would it be better to learn to cast properly"
:)

Sorry missed this, easy answer, learn to cast proper concentrating on presentation.

Had some time to kill recently in Somers Abdn and picked up and looked at all the 13ft salmon rods in the shop having broke my 13fter last season, when I picked up the most expensive in the shop the sales attendant who had been watching me said this was the rod for me ( a Hardy Sintrex ), I replied though it certainty was a lovely rod and I'm sure it could cast for miles, I only needed to cast 50/60ft ! After we got talking he genuinely recommended the cheapest rod in the shop, saying a lot of experience abdn salmon anglers who also have expensive rods really rate it and have it as a spare or for smaller rivers. Yesterday I was back in Somers getting an exchange ticket and as I had the car I bought one for £109  :D

Inchlaggan

Years ago, when I was getting back into fly-fishing, I bought a £100's worth of Diawa (all I could afford at the time!). SWMBO bought me casting lessons for my birthday. The guy was good, insisting on my using my own rod and he demonstrating with it as well.
After a few hours he let my try one of his rods- £500+ worth of Hardy- to see if I could feel and describe the difference. I could, but could cast no further nor present the fly any better. His advice was to practice with my own rod until such time as I could pick up a rod and use it to do something my Diawa could not, then consider whether that difference was valuable to my fishing before buying it. Most of the time I have followed his advice ever since, though the occasional shiny thing has crept into my collection.
SWMBO then decided it was about time she had a dabble at the noble art and still short of cash to invest in something she might not take up to any serious degree I spent £30 on a Shakespeare. I could cast further and present better with it so I went back to my instructor with the rod and asked if I had become a sufficiently accomplished caster to consider investing in some expensive kit? He and I spent an hour or more casting with three rods- my Diawa (D), his Hardy (H) and SWMBO's Shakespeare (S).
Conclusions (listed in order 1st, 2nd 3rd)
Longest Distance S,H,D.
Presentation at Longest Distance H,S,D.
Playing a fish D,H,S.
Presenting to a rise (short to medium distance) S,H,D.
So I spent the money I saved on a set of Hardys, bought a boat and took up loch fishing.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page