News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scams

Started by Inchlaggan, November 09, 2013, 02:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Three calls in the last week trying to run the "Event viewer" scam. Be aware.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Harpo

When i get any call like that I hold the phone up to the fire alarm and push the test button :twisted:

superscot

Number not known number not answered simple as that

Wildfisher

Quote from: superscot on November 09, 2013, 04:36:48 PM
Number not known number not answered simple as that

Yes, I block all withheld numbers and never answer "unknowns"   

Inchlaggan

OK, I understand the number block and not answering unknowns.
But.
The paramedic who attempted to revive my Mum last December called from her own mobile- unknown.
The hospital where my Dad is at the moment withhold numbers (unless they are made from the main ward phone) - withheld.
My near neighbour is a retired GP and through long habit withholds his number.
There have been plenty of other incidents that I could mention, not least running something of a business from home.

The scam calls came through as "International" but then so do calls from family in Canada, Australia and so on, as well as from the couple whose house I am watching over who are currently in Europe.

"Adam" from the "Microsoft Security Centre" with his heavy Indian accent was easy to spot, "Maria" insisted that I had to complete a survey to stop being called, "Jason" went as far as to suggest that my PC was open to abuse by "International Terrorists" and that he would have to contact the police if I did not run Event Viewer.
By goodness I had fun with all of them, never thought of the smoke alarm idea though!
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on November 09, 2013, 05:08:01 PM
never thought of the smoke alarm idea though!

Nor did I. It would  be worth buying a spare and keeping it beside the phone.  :lol:

superscot

Have you ever noticed there is a delay before they talk ! Then its a call centre or someone setting a scam !Tend to piss me right off !

Inchlaggan

Yep, the machine is auto-dialling a vast number of lines, when they get an answer there is a delay before your name comes up on the operator's screen so that they can state "Am I speaking to Mr XXXX?" a good answer is "No, I am his butler."
I have also tried "No, he died yesterday" and "This is a police station" the opportunities are endless....
Go."

Inchlaggan

A mate swears that this he uses this one with 100% success.

"Thank you for your call. Listen carefully to what I am about to say. You must not disconnect this call, you must stay on this line. Do you understand?"
"Thank you, this telephone line and computer are being monitored as part of a murder enquiry, if you disconnect before answering our questions you cannot be eliminated from our enquiries and, effectively, become a suspect. Do you understand?"
"Thank you. From our line check you are calling from a call centre, do not disconnect but please attract the attention of your supervisor, have you done that?"
"Thank you. We now have the details of the desk station and PC that you are working from, please hand over to your supervisor and you will be eliminated from our enquiries."

Repeat as far as you can, escalating up the management scale.

My mate claims that his mate got £300 via PayPal to quit the conversation.
Go."

Fishtales

We count five rings before picking up, the answerphone cuts in at six :) If I do get someone "I don't have a computer", "I don't have any debt so you can't lower my payments", "I'm registered with the TPS" and "I don't answer personal questions over the 'phone", seems to cover most bases :) If they persist in arguing I tell them I'm not interested and say Goodbye and put the 'phone down.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page