News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

1 and 2 Weight Fly Rods For Small Streams

Started by Wildfisher, January 17, 2014, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

bibio1

I bought an old winston lt a number of years ago. It was 7ft 9" 5 piece and rated for a 2wt. I use it on the lochs for boat fishing mostly.

I tried a few but to be honest anything below 3wt is a lottery in my view. The best rod I have is a 3wt David Norwich with a medium action. A superb piece of kit and can cast when you want it too even in the wind, which is surprising. East wind will also be able to confirm how good they are.

I thought going small would be more pleasurable but it's not.

So my advice is don't waste your money.

haresear

I couldn't find a #2 or below for a reasonable sum, so I ended up going for a 6' #3 Shakespeare Agility for about 30 quid. I have yet to use it though.

I know a guy who fishes a Sage 00, even for big fish and he swears by it. I have seen a photo of a 6lb brownie and a salmon about 12lb he landed on it on very fine mono.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I phoned the Orvis shop in Banchory today about the 6 foot #2 Clearwater which would be ideal, but it's £179 and it would have to be ordered in for me, so I didn't commit as it would not be right to have them get it in and me perhaps changing my mind. Ben was very helpful, but I'm still not  sure about spending that kind of money as I'm not sure how often I'd use the rod.  :? 

haresear

Aye Fred. Exactly how I felt about spending a few bob on something I might not use too often.
Protect the edge.

Ed

Santa dropped off a Wychwood River and Stream 6ft #2, but I'll have to wait until later in the year to use it. I've ordered a Wychwood Presentation line to accompany the rod, but struggling to find a reel at a reasonable price.

Will I use it, aye every time I go to my wee local river. I'm very confident that it'll make that experience even more enjoyable.

Harpo

Quote from: Ed on January 18, 2014, 12:28:31 PM
Santa dropped off a Wychwood River and Stream 6ft #2, but I'll have to wait until later in the year to use it. I've ordered a Wychwood Presentation line to accompany the rod, but struggling to find a reel at a reasonable price.

Will I use it, aye every time I go to my wee local river. I'm very confident that it'll make that experience even more enjoyable.

I bought an Okuma reel last year for my 3 weight for £20, seems ok for the price
Just something to hold the line

Stonepark

I have an rdp 7ft6 1wt and an orvis troutbum 7ft6 1wt, the former being the slightly slower rod.

The rdp is semi custom but very reasonablely priced and also available in 6ft. You can also order the blanks to make your own.

Mike Barrio is now also doing a 1wt small stream line.

I use mine both on rivers and lochs and as long as not fighting a wind, where i step up to my 9ft 3wt.

If you already have a 3wt, i would drop 2 sizes to a 1wt, but if your rods are bigger, a 2wt might be more attractive as more widely available.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

toms dun

The fladden 7 ft is a 3 weight  I use on small rivers thats about £20

Midgie Hater

Quote from: admin on January 17, 2014, 11:22:14 PM
I didn't commit as it would not be right to have them get it in and me perhaps changing my mind. Ben was very helpful, but I'm still not  sure about spending that kind of money as I'm not sure how often I'd use the rod.  :?

What about a 3# or 3/4# (7' or 8') which would fulfil the role you want it for but also be useable for other occasions?

Someone mentioned some of the lightweight Wychwood rods. I've used my mate's 3# Truefly on the local a few times. 7' I think. We swapped for a while as he reckoned my Sonik SK3 3/4# (8') might be somewhat similar in feel and action. We both agreed that each rod worked well for small streams but (to my joy) he suggested that my Sonik was much easier to roll-cast for some reason, and despite the extra foot was maybe overall a better rod in terms of "feel" (which is, of course, a very subjective thing).  That said I really enjoyed using the Truefly so it could just be a case of "the grass is greener on the other side". In terms of price, the Truefly (assuming you can find one now as the original line has been superseded) was available at around £79-£99 and the Sonik about the same (I got mine for a lot less in an end-offline sale and i'm very happy with it). I believe Sonik do a very inexpensive rod called the SKS now which retails at a lower price than the SK3.

Incidentally, i haven't seen anyone on here speak of (or admit to? ;) ) using a Sonik rod. Maybe i'm in a Sonik minority of one on WFF then?  :lol:

Go To Front Page