News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Attaching Leaders To Fly Lines

Started by Wildfisher, May 05, 2014, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

QuoteHow thin is the needle

Picture seems true to size, so thin is my answear. I was a bit rough with it & it broke first time so if you do indeed get one be careful not to force the needle. If not remind me & I will show you it at EOSS.  Me to just in, spinning for Salmon on River Leven this morning nothing doing. No fish reported by bailiffs today,two caught upstream yesterday on worm. Barrage open so fresh water,incoming tide late afternoon which might bring in a few Springers but sadly not for me.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

jackal

Bestmethod ive found by far when attatching flyline to leader is 3 feet of 10lb nylon needle knotted to line.   I then tie on a 2mm riverge leader ring to the nylon.  Much better than braided loops.

Fishtales

I've been using braided loops and leaders since they came out. Before that it was needle or nail not. I use the loops for convenience, I make my own, and never use glue on them, just the sleeve. I can't remember when I last replaced the one on my fly line, possibly four or five years ago. They are extremely strong. I broke a braided salmon leader on the Earn once when the tube fly got stuck on something, the loop held tight and the Maxima Chameleon 10 lb nylon didn't break either and the knots held so it went at the weakest part which must have been a nick in the leader :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

scobo

I use the needle/nail knot with a 3 foot "sacrificial" butt of heavy mono and join my leader to that with a blood knot.
Never let me down yet.
Scott

"Fly fishing is my prozac"

Suki1312

Nice and easy for me used braided loops for years never had a problem . Never ever had one slip or break on me .
Every day is a school day

Midgie Hater

Quote from: Fishtales on May 06, 2014, 05:43:29 PM
I've been using braided loops and leaders since they came out...I make my own, and never use glue on them, just the sleeve.

Now I think about it I find it's the sleeve that tends to cause the sticking from time-to-time rather than the loop itself. Also, it's an occasional tangle point in a botched or wind-blown cast.

Quote from: scobo on May 07, 2014, 04:56:05 PM
I use the needle/nail knot with a 3 foot "sacrificial" butt of heavy mono and join my leader to that with a blood knot.

I've done the same as I mentioned, with my old river rod fly line but instead of a "sacrificial but" I tied a blood bight loop in the end and either blood-knotted or more usually did a loop to loop attachment with the leader. Apart from the aforementioned tightening which made it difficult to detach sometimes, it was better than a braided loop in many ways.

Go To Front Page