News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

1 and 2 Weight Fly Rods For Small Streams

Started by Wildfisher, January 17, 2014, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

Quote from: Alan on January 19, 2014, 12:52:56 AM
When your used to a heavier rod all lighter rods feel great, does the Fladen vantage come in a 2 weight? at £20 quid that would be my first option.

..And a 1 weight line most likely.

I think thats true but im a light line convert now. Been using 3wts for around 5 seasons for every type of fishing. They can handle big fish as well and cast a reasonable line, even in the wind.

Ythanjoe

I use an orvis 2wt superfine for most small river fishing. I think the line cuts through the wind , compensating for any lack of power and probably for the same reason I find it accurate at short to medium distances. What I cant do with it, Malcolm ably demonstrated one day on the river, casting under trees and at distance I struggle with a 5wt!  Great rod and worth the money, to me.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on January 19, 2014, 12:52:56 AM
does the Fladen vantage come in a 2 weight? at £20 quid that would be my first option.

I have the lightest one they do  7 foot #3. I had actually forgotten I had it!   :lol:   Once you remove the garish chrome stickers they are OK. I bought two  some time ago to try. They were under £20 each. I gave one away to one of my sons I think.

Like all the cheap carbon rods I have tried they are a bit poker-like with stiff tips.

Wildfisher

I tried my Fladen  7 foot #3 I had forgotten I had  :lol:   with a Wildfisher Stream Stealth #3 in the park this morning. Was even able to cast it straight into he teeth of the gale that was blowing.   I don't like the rod though, it's just too stiff.  The Fladen is great for the gale, not so great for lightweight fishing on small streams.

Robbie

Last season I used a 6ft 3wt bamboo rod I picked up off eBay, it was great fun on the Luther making the most of the bandies.

Wildfisher

Following a heads up from Stonepark I trotted along to Angler's Choice in Dundee this morning and bought a  Greys (yes I know!) GS2 7 foot 2 weight 4pc  on sale at £49

It is sweet, feather weight,  mid to tip action  and proved a delight to cast with the prototype  Wildfisher Stream Stealth #2 weight line.  I know Greys have a reputation for 4 pc turning into 5 pc, but at the price it's worth a shot.

The Wildfisher Stream Stealth #2 will be added to the range shortly as I have had several request to produce a high quality #2 weight line for under £20 and have now done this.  :8)

Robbie

I've got a couple of greys rods and never had a problem with them. You can't go too far wrong at that price.

Wildfisher

The rod is lovely to cast Robbie. I won't bother even registering for the warranty though.

£25 handling charge + 10% of RRP per broken section (not the sale price). That would come in at £33 + shipping. For a rod that cost only £49 it's pointless.

Rabmax

I have been going down the lower rod wt & line wt last couple of years.Just bought another Flextec Streamtec  before they disappear as they have been discontinued i think.I have them in various lengths & weights but didn't have the 9 ft in 3 wt already had it in 4wt.Just ordered one of the stealth 3wt lines for it.Might order a 2 wt stealth line for it latter on if i think it will cast a 2 wt line.I never really got on with those Fladen Vantage rods too poker like for me too.Cheers All

Stonepark

Have spoken to Flextec via email, they are not discontinuing the Streamtec and have a large order due in before the end of the month, so future supplies should be assured.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Go To Front Page