News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

4 / 5 wt Kit

Started by Wildfisher, June 29, 2004, 11:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have been thinking about getting a 4 or 5 wt kit for the wee troots. Anyone got any recommendations?  I have had cast with Allan?s 5wt B+W ? just great - but frankly its way out of my price range. I really do not like the  stiff / fast action / tip action   rods that are  so in vogue with the  ?bow bashers,  preferring a   ?through action?. My mate John recently bought a 7 wt Greys, a bony rod  that chucks  out  a good line, but too stiff for me. Another problem seems to be that most 5 wts I have seen reviewed are about 8 ? feet. I would like 9 ?  or 10 ft if possible to help get the line higher  when fishing hill lochs with steep banks.

It?s all a bit of  a lottery.

Anyone got any ideas?

Wildfisher

Thanks lads. Sandfly, maybe we can meet up for a cast someday and I can have a cast with your rod? Maybe Laidon or Ba perhaps?

Pearly Invicta

The old Hardy deluxe graphite is a good through action rod- too soft for some but just right for the wee broonies. I have a 6 weight but I keep an eye out for a good 4/5. I've got a wee 4 wt hardy jlh ultralite reel just waiting for it (got it in a john norris sale for 30 quid!)

I've not encountered a better soft through-action rod for wee fush.

johnsd

www.tightlines.co.uk just got the summer catalogue(dont know how to put link in for wedsite sorry)  ron thompson axellerator 10' #4/5 mid/tip ?60, also airflo classic + 9'6 #6/7 r.r.p? 124.95 sale price ?29.99 , if any help
yer going where

rabbitangler

Anyone know of a 5 weight over 10 ft??   Bugging for grayling last week I could have done with another 2 ft (couldn't we all vicar) to cover water better.

Peter

lnelson20

The 9'6 airflo classic 6/7 would be a bit stiff for what fred's looking for as I own one myself.But would have to say,it,s an excellent buy at thirty quid.
Keep tying lads.
Look north.
Chris.
c.nelson

Wildfisher

Last Saturday I ordered a Vision 10 foot #5 3 piece.  Recommended by Hamish and Mike Barrio as being  a great rod.  ?120 .  Got it from FMTC ? 10% by using  the  link on the front page of this  site.

I?ll let you know how it is when it comes and I have had a chance to use it.

breac

:shock:  jeezo! fred, you must be made o' money, I got an Air-flo m-tec in a nice green tube 3pc 5wt 8-6 for 60 quid, its a great rod light with a nice action  I used it all last season except when I camped it puts out a nice line( For Me anyway) I find it easier with a shorter rod it doesn't put as much reverse strain on the shoulder, I steeple cast and I only have to retrieve my flies from the heather every other cast, ( if I'm lucky) keeps you fit? hardy's made a 5wt rod for the French mkt it was a 10ft,er but I resisted it because it was a 2pc,and bloody expensive, tight lines Fred
wi'the new stick :) breac

Wildfisher

Quote from: breac:shock:  jeezo! fred, you must be made o' money, I got an Air-flo m-tec in a nice green tube 3pc 5wt 8-6 for 60 quid, its a great rod light with a nice action  I used it all last season except when I camped it puts out a nice line( For Me anyway) I find it easier with a shorter rod it doesn't put as much reverse strain on the shoulder, I steeple cast and I only have to retrieve my flies from the heather every other cast, ( if I'm lucky) keeps you fit? hardy's made a 5wt rod for the French mkt it was a 10ft,er but I resisted it because it was a 2pc,and bloody expensive, tight lines Fred
wi'the new stick :) breac

Breac,

I wanted a 10 footer and they are not easy to find in #5. Most 10 footers need a line that could be used as a mooring line for the QE2. :lol:   I?ll let you know how I get on if the feckng thing ever arrives.   :roll:

Wildfisher

Quote from: SwithunFred,

Let me know how it works out when you get it.  I've been looking for a 10Ft + #5 - and they are pretty rare.  Well - if you don't want to spent mega bucks they are anyway.

Yes they are rare. B+W etc do such models but they are WAY  out of my price range. Anyway, spending 3 or 4 hundred quid on a  rod seems bizarre to me, especially as I?ll likely  shut it in the feckng car boot lid anyway :oops: . I?ll let you know but by all accounts the Visoin is OK. If you order it though my site link you get and extra 10% off making it less that ?110, which is not too bad for a good rod.

Go To Front Page