News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Windows 8.1

Started by Darwin, April 01, 2014, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darwin

Someone was moaning about the new Window 8, I now understand your pain.   :worms
Youtube has lots of video tutorials that will help, just search for Windows 8.1 Tutorial.  I am annoyed that I have to relearn this!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=windows+8.1+tutorial

Inchlaggan

I too feel the pain.
A new laptop arrived with Windows 8, it has taken 36 hours to install the 91 updates that are required BEFORE you can update to 8.1.
The Microsoft Help pages are pure pish, you will need to follow third-party tutorials and have a second PC/Laptop or tablet running alongside to follow them.
Plenty of gear being sold cheap with Windows 8, that is the trap I fell into.
If buying, save yourself the hassle and look for kit pre-loaded with 8.1.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

superscot

Not very handy at all if you do not have a reasonable fast speed on broadband

Inchlaggan

Aye, at current speeds it is going to take me a further five hours to download the update.
Go."

desmondo

I agree that Windows 8/8.1 takes a fair bit of getting used to. I have been working with it for over 6 months and still regularly ignore most of what is supposed to be good about it. The search function is a real hassle compared to what I was used to. But, I know it is not going fully back so I do embrace it when I can and try to master it but it is still a pain in the backside.

Allan Crawford

When I turned on a new WIn 8 laptop back in November when we didn't have any internet at all it really wasn't happy, it was a struggle to turn on, big brother not happy  :lol:

Since had to reboot after getting the 8.1 update and not gone back to 8.1 yet, but I can tell microsoft are not happy as it's reminders pop up more often.

Give me XP any day !

Midgie Hater

I agree with all of the above in terms of functionality - or rather familiarity and useability. I don't have 8 at home but most of the workplace PCs have it now. When I was a journo I obviously used Word a lot and became very familiar with some of its less common functions. Now though, despite having had the Windows 8-equipped machines at work for several months I often find myself staring blankly at the screen when trying to perform some esoteric function...like saving a document  :roll:

Allan Crawford

Getting ready to go back to work thought I better like MS give me the 8.1 Update, bloody hell it is slow ........

Inchlaggan

It took nine hours with an average 1Mbps download speed......
Go."

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Inchlaggan on April 06, 2014, 01:07:33 PM
It took nine hours with an average 1Mbps download speed......

Took me about 3hrs in the end, though another hour or so to reboot and then I'm no be happy cause I liked my desktop pictures with 8  :?

I suppose it has to happen, don't have much patience for computers these days would rather chop wood !

Go To Front Page