News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

"Best" Electric Outboard ??

Started by Bobfly, August 05, 2015, 04:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gola

Hi, I've had two Minn Kota motors over the years and never had a minute's problem with them; I presently have a 50lb thrust having previously used a 30lb. I would advise the maximum thrust you can get/afford as no one has ever complained of having too much power. However regardless of what you pay for the motor don't scrimp when it comes to the battery, I've watched far more people row off the lough because their battery has run flat than row off because of a problem with their motor (regardless of make). As others have said you will require a deep cycle leisure battery, normal automotive batteries will not hack the multiple deep discharge and recharge cycles. I would go for a minimum of 85AH but advise larger if you can. The main problem is as you up the rating you also up the weight. I have in the past used a 120AH battery which has been perfect giving a long days service with a 50lb thrust motor on a largish lough without any problems. However a battery of this size is really a two man lift if getting it any distance from the car, so another solution is to parallel up a number of smaller batteries, I for instance when fishing alone and especially when on loughs that require transporting batteries for some distance use three 35AH batteries in parallel, this provides 105AH but makes for three very easy lifts. The downside is that a 35AH is not unfortunately a third the cost of a 105AH, but I've got to the stage that saving my back and hips is more important than the cost. If you do parallel up batteries ensure that the jumper cables are of sufficient current carrying capacity, go bigger rather than smaller if in doubt. make them exactly the same length, and always use the batteries in parallel, and charge them in parallel. This will maximise the charge and discharge efficiency. Finally and also very important match your charger to your battery or batteries. I know this all seems a bit over the top but get it right and your battery or batteries will last you much longer. Lastly carry a spare shear pin, just like on a large petrol motor, clip an underwater stump or rock and you may end up on the oars.

Brutha

Has anyone tried the torqueedo motors? Look good (expensive!), but not sure how practical they are?

Bobfly

You might just have blown Corsican Dave's 2015/16 gear budget   !!!!!!! :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

Quote from: Bobfly on August 06, 2015, 11:41:10 PM
You might just have blown Corsican Dave's 2015/16 gear budget   !!!!!!! :D :D
if I could afford one of those i'd go on a road trip to spain for a couple of months  :lol: besides which, it's not just the budget that's blown at present, so that's any plans for road trips out of the window.... :(
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

Oh Dear !     :( :( :(       That does NOT look good.

Bobfly

Brilliant !! I shall set to work tomorrow with my old Ryobi and some bits off a broken pallet.
It looks just the business for crossing a canal in a canoe !!
But NO, hang on !! Actually this electric drill jimcrack nonsense is not the way to go at all since it has put me in mind of converting a petrol powered strimmer. That already has a proper motor and a long shaft that can be held in the water at any angle or held backwards for reverse and the reverse threaded head is already fitted cranked at the end of the shaft. Just a prop head instead of the line cassette head and I am good to go for thirty minutes between refills. :D :D :D :D

corsican dave

hmm, looks like you guys may not be the first to think of this. google "duck boat mud motor" and it all gets rather weird.... (this photo isn't my boat, btw; there's loads of 'em out there)

I actually have one of these brush cutters in the garage and I have to admit i'd thought about it more than once. be very afraid
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Part-time

Anytime I see a documentary about the Amazon, Congo etc the natives always seem to have a "brushcutter"  type outboard on their canoe - must be a good reason for them being so popular; better in shallow water? Could be ideal for the Spey :lol:

Brutha

I like the idea of a pedal powered one, something like this:

http://h2proped.com/about-h2pro-ped.htm

Edit: just looked at the price, perhaps not then!

Brutha

Thinking about this, a lot of people like to take their dogs with them, I wonder if you could setup some form of track for them to run on and power the prop....

Go To Front Page