News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Day sack chest pack combos.

Started by Robbie, July 30, 2016, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

When out in the hills for a day I usually just tack a day sack and whilst fishing stash essential bits and pieces in various pockets. It's not an ideal solution, have also tried taking a vest and wearing the day sack over the top which was not my best idea.

Looking for a better solution got me thinking about combining a chest pack and day sack. Figured this would allow usual essentials, tippet and even a box or two to be kept easily at hand. Other kit and additional boxes could then be stored in the day sack without getting in the way.

Looking at some chest packs it would appear that I am not the only one who thought this could be a good idea. Orvis, Umpqua and William Joseph all do chest packs and day sacks which are compatible and can be used together.

Dropped into Orvis shop in Banchory to have a look at their version. As you'd expect looks to be solid, well made kit. I have never seen anything made by the other two companies and who appreciate feedback on quality from anyone who has. Also pointers to other similar kit you'd recommend would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Robbie

rannoch raider

I use this for mobile days. I really like it.

http://eu.patagonia.com/enGB/product/stormfront-waterproof-sling-20-liters?p=49240-1-950&pcc=1148

Its a tad pricey but it is 100% waterproof, hardwearing, comfortable and does what its designed to do, very well indeed. It can be slung high on the back and doesn't hinder deep wading or any style of casting. It can be moved from a high back position to the chest in one click of a strap and can be relocated on the back just as easily.

caorach

A lot of my fishing is real "wild fishing" in the sense that I usually need a day sack for my stove, food and so on. I also often walk considerable distances in a day and wander from loch to loch plus I spend my time in the Hebrides or the northern part of Ireland so the weather can be pretty mixed.

In the end the best solution I could come up with was an army surplus "windproof smock." Now I know a lot of people shy away from army surplus stuff and I'd guess that a lot of it is probably junk but the smock makes for an ideal jacket for the wandering angler. It has lots of pockets and they are a decent size plus they fold over and button shut. I've never lost anything out of one yet. There are also two huge "map" pockets in the chest that zip shut.

The smock isn't waterproof but with the application of something like Diver Dave's "Repel" waterproofing it becomes very shower proof and the great thing is that it is very breathable indeed and so under most conditions is actually more comfortable to wear than a fully waterproof jacket. I carry my camera in the chest pocket and despite being out in a lot of bad conditions it has never got wet, and it isn't waterproof. For the really wet days I carry a lightweight surplus "gore tex" type waterproof jacket. The secret here is that on those really wet days when you feel you need the gore tex layer you wear the waterproof jacket UNDER the smock - so you keep all your pockets etc. on the outside but you are completely waterproof and if the rain stops the waterproof layer can come off. Rucksack straps or other pressure can force water through the smock so sometimes you need to wear the goretex layer to counteract such conditions.

You can pick up windproof smocks for not much cash. In my view the older DPM smock is better as it is simpler but the newer MTP coloured ones have mesh lining, hand warmer pockets, pit zips and so on and while you might be attracted to these features you don't need them and they don't really add an utility in my view. I always buy a jacket a good bit too long for me as the military often wear them quite short and I like them longer. If you buy a smock/surplus gore tex combo and really don't like it then you can always put it on ebay and get your money back on it.

I'm out at fish or deer probably at least 100 days per year in all seasons and I have a cupboard full of "big name" jackets that simply don't get used any more. So although that isn't exactly the question you asked it is how I solve the problem you are facing and I'd be very surprised if it didn't work for you as well with minimum expenditure.

This is me playing a fish in the Hebrides in a DPM smock which was over the top of a mil surplus gore tex layer as we had torrential rain for most of the latter part of the day:

This is the first fish of the day before the goretex layer went on, so I was very breathable for the walk up the river and so was more comfortable than if I'd been wearing a waterproof:

this is the fish I was playing in the imagine above and by this time i had the goretex layer on under the windproof smock, it is the lighter coloured MTP pattern jacket so you can see it under the DPM smock:

The trousers are Harkilia £350 jobs and they eventually let the water in, the mil surplus jackets didn't :-)

rannoch raider

Wise words there ! Seems like a logical and efficient way to deal with the problems presented by your chosen terrain, weather conditions and distances. There's no doubt about it, breathability of materials is important to comfort and you seem to have found a good 'working' flexible approach that offers the best of both worlds as conditions dictate. All you need now is a decent lightweight,waterproof bag to carry a few luxuries and stow whatever jacket is not in use ;-) .

arawa

I tend to travel light these days and a Patagonia front vest sling is my choice for most days on the hill. I much prefer only one strap when casting.
There is plenty of room in the front pockets and pouches for all my fishing tackle needs with essentials immediately to hand, except for a spare reel that goes in the small rucksack. The rucksack also holds lunch, Smidge, a Berghaus waterproof that packs down to the size of an orange, and one of the folded polystyrene "seats" for sitting on wet ground and keeping the ticks at bay. A water bottle is carried in the holder underneath and a rod and net strap tightly to the outside.
I did look at most of the alternatives on the market before settling on the Patagonia and it works well for me.

Robbie

Thanks for the advice and info gents.

That's a nice sling pack, hadn't given them serious consideration before as I had wondered how comfortable they would be for a long day in the hill when packed to the gunnels.

The smock sounds like a neat solution but not sure its for me. For my time in the cadets I remember those things being fairly heavy and murder on a warm day. Also doesn't really satisfy my inner tackle tart  :roll:

Highlander

Andrew Moray has the William Joseph one & he rates it I believe. If you have already seen the Orvis one & are taken by it then looks like a good buy to me so why not go for it. I have a few Orvis bits & pieces though not this but their kit is well made & more to the point practical. I now use the day sac (Bergaus 20L) for the larger items & a Orvis waist pack for bits & pieces. I can "drop" the sac & retrieve at lunchtime or end of day.
An older version of this which I pick up at half price thanks to a forum member pointing me in the direction.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/gale-force-waist-pack/4h1r

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

arawa

Quote from: Robbie on August 01, 2016, 01:25:14 PM
Thanks for the advice and info gents.

That's a nice sling pack, hadn't given them serious consideration before as I had wondered how comfortable they would be for a long day in the hill when packed to the gunnels.
I would not recommend my Patagonia front sling pack, if that is the one you mean rather than rannoch raiders, if you want to pack it to the gunnels. Mine comfortably holds enough for a full day's
walking and fishing stripped to the essentials - and then it is very comfortable to wear and easy to access ready-use tackle. It does not work so well with excessive weight in the back pack as it pulls the front up and the balance is wrong.
If I need to carry more I use a proper rucksack of the appropriate size. My favourite is a Berghaus Airzone 28.  If I am using the rucksack I hang all my fishing gadgets around my neck on an Orvis "necklace".
I too am a tackle tart!

PS. Nice fish Caorach.

Chase

I'm  a bit late on this but for anyone interested - I now use the large size Orvis sling pack , as with most things Orvis its good quality , not 100% waterproof and also the wet stuff gets in when opening the bag ect .
I can carry all the tackle and bits and bobs in it for a full day including food and drink and a waterproof jacket .
In my opinion its more comfortable than a waistcoat , as an extra there is a fully waterproof *bag* for mobiles and wallet ect .

Go To Front Page