News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Camping stoves

Started by Simon Everett, January 17, 2017, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Admittedly I've not used many different stoves, when doing DofE awards we were supplied with trangia stoves. Few years ago I did try a very basic, and cheap, gas stove but did not get on well with it. The gas stove would probably have benefited from a wind break.

The trangia may be slow to heat up but I've never had a problem with the cooking times. They are robust and pack all pots etc into a fairly neat bundle.

SoldierPmr

I have one of the £16 ones and it works perfectly fine as a test I filled a 2ltr kettle took a little over 5 minutes to boil as I'm on my own a brew is done in no time.

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Element on January 17, 2017, 07:21:39 PM
Ifrequent places where there sinply isn't sufficient wood - or that that is present is damp / wet. Also - although in the pics of the amazon link it all looks great - I imagine it gets all sooted up from the fire? Especially if pine woods are being used for fuel...?

E.

They come with a fuel tray to use too though I've never used it with spirits. Regarding getting dirty its not bad at all though the under side of the pot your burning does get a little sutty but a quick wipe on the floor\moss sorts it.

rannoch raider

Quote from: Robbie on January 17, 2017, 08:01:07 PM
Admittedly I've not used many different stoves, when doing DofE awards we were supplied with trangia stoves. Few years ago I did try a very basic, and cheap, gas stove but did not get on well with it. The gas stove would probably have benefited from a wind break.

The trangia may be slow to heat up but I've never had a problem with the cooking times. They are robust and pack all pots etc into a fairly neat bundle.

I've owned a Primus Multi fuel stove. It was a really powerful beast and it roared like a jet fighter when running on gas ! It was great for boiling but was hard to control so it was bad for burning the sausages!  I also like the Trangia sets. They're a bit more controllable and they are now available in superb non stick coatings and there is a compact gas burner attachment that allows it to use gas canisters as well as the various liquid fuels and gels.

Simon Everett

GREAT!

Isn't it amusing how old men can get so much pleasure from various ways of controlling FIRE.

johnsd

Now where to start Trangia 27 with added gas burner also Swedish army trangia, The ideal express meths stove, Pocket gas stove that screws on a Coleman 250 canister for use with a fast boil pan, and 3 of those briefcase stoves for car camping, oh and a couple of army solid fuel things ,bloody eBay on a Friday night after a dram. cheers John
yer going where

rannoch raider

That's not a collection, that's the evidence of an obsession ! Inside every camper is a pyromaniac fighting to get out !  :-):-):-)

Lochan_load

I'll second that motion bob!

superscot

I still use the auld paraffin primus stoves cheap to run and in my case always work, spares ready available and can burn for hours on a fill, have to say its saved my life a few times ...tip is having the Patience to allow the burner to get really hot before appling the pressure. For those who need spares

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/

http://classiccampstoves.com/   

Billy

Tried a few times to post here but being blocked.

Billy

Go To Front Page