News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A good old traditional pattern for you

Started by Wildfisher, April 25, 2017, 12:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

hopper

They fish it under a bung and call it fly fishing

garryh

Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Inverguseran

Horrible to think some people could use it and think they are Fly Fishing :(

Mark

I dont have a problem with it. It imitates a worm or at least triggers an aggressive response from the fish...Is it flyfishing? is short line nymphing without a flyline fly fishing? is czech nymphing flyfishing? etc etc. That could open up a real can of squirmies, one I'll leave other people to argue.
I found it absolute crap for wild fish, at least the handful of times i tried it while experimenting with flies. Graying certainly take it well at times tho.

To be honest Id much rather fish a worm upstream, its much more attractive to the trout and is also much more skillful in my opinion.

Wildfisher

Quote from: markirv on April 25, 2017, 10:33:32 PM
I dont have a problem with it. It imitates a worm or at least triggers an aggressive response from the fish

That's the way I look at it. It's just another artificial lure, no better or worse than any other tying. Enjoying fishing it is an altogether different matter.  I really don't enjoy fishing  heavy nymphs at all.

Mark

Yes, I fish what is basically a walts worm. A gold bead and a bit of hares ear wound on a hook, doesnt imitate much but works well. Strange that there isnt the same reaction to this as there is with a gold bead and a piece of worm coloured rubber.

Im with you on heavy nymphing, OK in moderation but dredging the bottom soon becomes v boring.

Wildfisher

It's a strange attitude. Some folk would happily cast this all day and call it fly fishing, yet look down on the squirmy or the San Juan Worm   :lol:   For me as long as the method / lure is legal I can't see problem.  Doesn't mean I'd want to use it myself but if others do I can't see the harm in it.

Mark

I think part of it must be down to the belief the guy with the squirmy is at an unfair advantage and its just not cricket!

Probably also because it looks like a worm and quite a lot of flyfishers look down there noses at anyone fishing bait (at times this includes me when I see a lazy get ledgering,  im ashamed to say)

Go To Front Page