News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bloke rods and blanks

Started by Lochan_load, October 02, 2018, 11:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Be interested in hearing folks thoughts on bloke rods and/or blanks. Looking to build a rod as a wee project and after looking around at blanks there seems to be names I've heard of (sage/epic/Winston) at about 400 pound a pop and then lots of brands I haven't from 0-100. The only name I know in this bracket is the bloke blanks and I see they sell them through eBay and have seen one the length and wt I want (10' 4wt) at about 70 quid.
So if anyone's got a bloke rod I'd love to here what you think, cheers

Andy

bibio1

The blokes I have seen are stiff. That's not a pun but they have been non-fishing rods in my view. I would contact him and ask as I have bought some rod building supplies from him and he's been very  accommodating.

P

Robbie

I have no direct expierence of Bloke rods. Also not experience of Harrison rod blanks but have heard they make reasonable rods, might make a good option for a lower cost test project:

https://www.guidesnblanks.com/p/harrison_fly_rod_blanks

Lochan_load

Cheers robbie, that's a name I've come across but have no real reference for. I'll have a look.
Paul I've messaged the guy mick bell through eBay, he reckons the blank is middle to tip which would be fine for what I want.....It's a definite maybe! I'll keep looking though in case something jumps out at me.

Bobfly

Harrison blanks have a good name. Sportfish use these for their own brand rods. I have an 8ft 3wt on a Harrison blank and pretty soft but that you would expect for a wee rod for burns.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Part-time

Andy, It's a 10' 5# bloke rod I use for most of my loch fishing and I'll have been using it any of the times we have fished together. I like it a lot but I'd agree it is a wee bit stiffer than you would probably want just for pulling wets. No where near as stiff as the 6# and 7# bloke rods which are real poker's that I'd guess are meant for lures etc.
You are welcome to give it a try if you are up this way or i'll take it with me next time I'm down south.

haresear

I had a #5 and a #6 in the Bloke range. I broke one but I still have the other.  I keep it in reserve as I have better rods.
I find the Blokes stiff and clunky. Useable and cast well but mot really what I like for fishing with.
I also have two Harrison rods. Not fly rods but coarse rods. I love them. They are great rods to play a fish on with a degree of "feel" I have never gound in any other rod. I have also cast one of their fly rods and it had a lovely smoothness about it.
Bloke blanks are imported from the far east and Harrison's are rolled by Steve Harrison in the UK. Of the two I know which I would go for, but your problem is you will struggle to find anyone who has a Harrison for a trial cast.
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

It's an xl50 if that rings any bells with you John/Alex? That's interesting I thought he made the blanks Alex, I'll have a look and see what the Harrison's come in at and lengths, weights etc
I'm not in any hurry whatsoever, plenty to keep me busy so I'll keep an eye on eBay for anything that pops up too

haresear

It is the XL50 Blokes I have Andy.  Can give you a chuck with one if you like.
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

Aye sounds good, no great rush like I say but I'm off the next month or so  :lol:

Go To Front Page