News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What Did You Learn In 2021?

Started by Wildfisher, October 20, 2021, 02:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I mean mainly fishing, but anything at all related to fishing or the great outdoors.

I think the main thing for me (and I more underlined it rather than it being new) was be happy with what you've got, stop whining about low or high water etc,  get off your  arse and go fishing. There is ALWAYS something new to learn or from which to gain a new experience. Above all stop fighting or fretting over battles already lost - fish farming, beavers etc. It's a waste of time energy that could be  better spent elsewhere and will achieve nothing other than making you sad, bitter and twisted.  :lol:

Biggest change for me this year was just producing videos on the local burn. It was a new experience and much apricated by a lot of people I don't even know.

arawa

That a spot on a loch I had tried to reach with a cast for over 50 years was actually only a foot deep :roll:

Learned this thanks to finally lugging a float tube there.

[attachimg=1]

Bobfly

That is rich looking water and surrounds.   :)
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Tweed

I made a trip to Rutland and Grafham this year.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but had been on the bucket list for over 30 years and it was a chance to meet up with friends. 

Whilst fretting about the scorching sun, lack of wind, and general lack of fish, a friend (and only occasional fisher) pointed out to me that "... a lot of people would pay good money to take a boat out and have a nice day pottering about on a reservoir, whilst blethering to a mate.  I'm not that bothered if I don't catch a fish."

In today's world of instant gratification and insta-post bombardment of trophy fish, I admit to being a bit guilty of having lost sight of that 'fish is a bonus' ethos, and it was a welcome and much needed reminder.  :D

That, and as you say, get up and go fishing - it's easy not to, but nearly always worth it when you do.

Andy T

Wildfisher

Quote from: Tweed on October 21, 2021, 02:09:28 PM
I made a trip to Rutland and Grafham this year.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but had been on the bucket list for over 30 years and it was a chance to meet up with friends. 

And you did it, so well done to you.  From what I've read these waters are a lot different from other stocked fisheries.

Fishtales

I found at 70 I can still carry 20 kilos up a mountain, over extremely bad ground, in the pouring rain and thunderstorms and back down again. Next time it will be over better ground :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

arawa

Quote from: admin on October 21, 2021, 02:33:57 PM
And you did it, so well done to you.  From what I've read these waters are a lot different from other stocked fisheries.

I used to have a Grafham/Rutland season ticket and - especially after I was taught properly to fish dries - I caught some magnificent brownies that would have graced any hill loch.
Some of the rainbows were not bad either :D
Not "put and take" waters by any means.

Tweed

Quote from: arawa on October 21, 2021, 06:13:15 PM

I used to have a Grafham/Rutland season ticket and - especially after I was taught properly to fish dries - I caught some magnificent brownies that would have graced any hill loch.
Some of the rainbows were not bad either :D
Not "put and take" waters by any means.

Don't tell anyone, but I loved it. :crap Fully-finned bars of solid silver, and a pal had a beauty of a grown-on brown.  The feeding in there is incredible - a look over the side on Rutland was like looking into a 15 ft aquarium - with perch and roach fry in their thousands.  I'll be back  :8)

IanR

[attachimg=1]Instead of bemoaning the lack of wild fishing in SW Scotland, I bought a season ticket for Winterhope Reservoir, near Waterbeck. OK, not wild, but not typical fin frayed stockies.. :)

Wildfisher

I think anyone would be pleased with that fish. :)

Go To Front Page